What type of tubing for liquid chlorine (bleach) feeder?

Mar 23, 2015
Plano, TX
I am working on a pool automation system using an Arduino, and I plan to use a peristaltic pump to automatically chlorinate the pool with bleach. I am considering Tygon tubing, but I can't find a solid answer on whether or not bleach will eat it. Does anyone have any recommendations for what type of tubing I should use? It needs to be flexible and springy like silicone tubing in order to work in the pump.

I went the peristaltic pump route also, a cheap 12v one from amazon. As for tubing, cheap aquarium 1/4 inch OD (I think) slips over the small tubing that's in the pump.

I do remember a youtube vid showing how to cut away some plastic to actually use the larger tubing than what it comes with.

But I've been using that pump quite nicely on a timer for about a year now. No problems with either the pump tubing nor the aquarium tubing. If you really need it I can get into my Amazon acct. and give you the actuals.

Cheers.

Edit: There seems to be no degradation of the tubing at all using 10-12.5% chlorine sucked strait from the bottle.

Last edited:
Agree with Gary300.

If this is in the sun, most common clear tubing will be ruined by the exposure. Save Tygon, and Teflon. Black Parflex tubing will last a very long time, and handle anything pool chemical wise for years on end. I've run hundreds, and hundreds of feet of it for more aggressive products in addition to bleach and Sulfuric acid. Never seen a failure related to chemical, or uv exposure. It's relatively cheap, and easy to find at irrigation supply houses.

I bought a condensate pump (Aspen universal) for an AC unit for £15. I did not change the tube within the pump at all. I then used 2 sizes of PVC tubing, the larger to fit onto the pump hose barb, and the smaller to fit into the injector. The pump and pipe are not in direct sunlight. I used standard pool pipe solvent cleaner and glue to seal the smaller pipe inside the larger pipe. Been working for 2 years now.

All controlled by HomeSeer and Arduinos.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used Clear Vinyl Tubing and after about 8 years it became brittle. I'm about to redo mine and will be using beverage tubing. If you don't have yours sorted yet I have thousands of feet of tubing I could let you have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.