Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What type of tubing for liquid chlorine (bleach) feeder?

1. Back To Top    #1

What type of tubing for liquid chlorine (bleach) feeder?

I am working on a pool automation system using an Arduino, and I plan to use a peristaltic pump to automatically chlorinate the pool with bleach. I am considering Tygon tubing, but I can't find a solid answer on whether or not bleach will eat it. Does anyone have any recommendations for what type of tubing I should use? It needs to be flexible and springy like silicone tubing in order to work in the pump.
    1982 built 15K? gallon IG gunite/plaster, DE filter, Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump, Polaris 280, Pentair LA01N booster pump, 3-8' with diving board, K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What type of tubing for liquid chlorine (bleach) feeder?

Santoprene or Norprene

19k gal, IG, Rectangle, Pebble, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge, Intelliflo VS Pump, IntellichlorSWG, Aquacal SQ-155 Heatpump, Aquaclean Aclean1 Robotic Cleaner, TF-100, Dec 2013, Jacksonville FL

3. Back To Top    #3

Waterway Shurflex Clear Vinyl Tubing - 3/8 - 110-0120

Home Depot clear plastic tubing sold in the plumbing section -- works just fine.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

I went the peristaltic pump route also, a cheap 12v one from amazon. As for tubing, cheap aquarium 1/4 inch OD (I think) slips over the small tubing that's in the pump.

I do remember a youtube vid showing how to cut away some plastic to actually use the larger tubing than what it comes with.

But I've been using that pump quite nicely on a timer for about a year now. No problems with either the pump tubing nor the aquarium tubing. If you really need it I can get into my Amazon acct. and give you the actuals.

Cheers.

Edit: There seems to be no degradation of the tubing at all using 10-12.5% chlorine sucked strait from the bottle.
    Last edited by poolfool1961; 05-08-2016 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Oh yeah
    Intek 18' X 48" AG, filled to 36-42"(slope?), Intek sand filter/pump, Hayward skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

I have used the hard ice maker plastic tubing with no problems, I am not sure of the material name though.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

A lot of people with Stenner pumps just use the black 1/4" PVC tubing supplied with the pump. The black tubing is UV resistive while the clear tubing will be degraded by UV.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Agree with Gary300.

If this is in the sun, most common clear tubing will be ruined by the exposure. Save Tygon, and Teflon. Black Parflex tubing will last a very long time, and handle anything pool chemical wise for years on end. I've run hundreds, and hundreds of feet of it for more aggressive products in addition to bleach and Sulfuric acid. Never seen a failure related to chemical, or uv exposure. It's relatively cheap, and easy to find at irrigation supply houses.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

With the black tubing, how can you tell if the system is primed without seeing the air bubbles getting purged?
    20x35 in-ground oval. Wet Edge Luna Quartz finish. Hayes Super Pump with AO Smith V-Green 165 VS motor. Polaris 380. Enersol solar heating with automatic controller. Automated chlorination with Stenner pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

I bought a condensate pump (Aspen universal) for an AC unit for 15. I did not change the tube within the pump at all. I then used 2 sizes of PVC tubing, the larger to fit onto the pump hose barb, and the smaller to fit into the injector. The pump and pipe are not in direct sunlight. I used standard pool pipe solvent cleaner and glue to seal the smaller pipe inside the larger pipe. Been working for 2 years now.

All controlled by HomeSeer and Arduinos.
    12ft x 24ft x 4ft inground vinyl, 32,000 litres, 3 phase 1.25hp Waterco pump on DIY VFD for cheap variable speed. 18kW Heat pump, Lacron sand filter, Solarmatt, 10kW Solar PV

10. Back To Top    #10

Can you send a link or picture of your setup. I'm thinking of doing the same thing

11. Back To Top    #11

I used Clear Vinyl Tubing and after about 8 years it became brittle. I'm about to redo mine and will be using beverage tubing. If you don't have yours sorted yet I have thousands of feet of tubing I could let you have.