New Pool Setup

May 2, 2016
Four Oaks, NC
First time pool owner, just got my pool installed last week. I've been trying to do research on how/when to properly use my 2 speed pump. From what I gather,it seems as though the supplied 1.5hp 2 Speed Hayward Power-flo pump is way too powerful for the 19" sand filter. Should I only ever use it on low speed? If so, what's the point of the 2 speed?

It is installed with 1.5" flexible tubing. I realize the flow is limited by that as well. I want to hard plumb it and install some shut-off valves, would I benefit from using 2" pipe or am I still limited by the sand filter? Should I consider upgrading the sand filter to a larger one? I hate to do that since I just got it installed. Or do I just constantly run on low speed? I also have a SWG, so not sure if flow significantly affects that or not.

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Yes, you should run it on low speed for filtering and making chlorine, filters are more efficient on low speed and it will use 1/4 of the electricity as high. Most people use high speed for vacuuming, solar, waterfalls, etc.

Hello and welcome! :wave: I second that comment by pooldv. My 2-speed is always on low except for when I am sweeping or vacuuming. Easy stuff. From there you can work with your SWG and pump run time to figure out how long they need to run to product the ideal FC level for your pool. You should be in good shape from there.... as long as you have the right test kit to watch those levels. :) Great to have you with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.