Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2sd year pool owner. Skimming issues

1. Back To Top    #1

2sd year pool owner. Skimming issues

Hi

I am in the process of slamming my pool, I am almost done. I have noticed that my pool has a lot of fine particles floating on the surface (Really small stuff as I net everything that falls in daily). Filter is going strong and water level is fine. I do not remember having that problem last year. Any solution?

Thanks

Pat
    12' AG, 3200GA, cartridge filter, pool installed 6/20/2015, Taylor K-2006 test kit,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2sd year pool owner. Skimming issues

If you are currently SLAMming, I suppose it could be residual algae floating around until it gets filtered. Also possible you just have pollen in the air at the same time and it's settling on the water. You're welcome to post a set of test results for us just to see if there's something we might notice that would help. ..... the "other Pat"
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

sounds like pollen maybe...is there anything else in the pool right now? i left some noodles in last year and they started to break down and leaving stuff in the pool.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

4. Back To Top    #4

Nothing left in the pool from last year. The stuff floating is mostly whitish in color.

Thanks guys

Pat
    12' AG, 3200GA, cartridge filter, pool installed 6/20/2015, Taylor K-2006 test kit,

5. Back To Top    #5

Here in Augusta we've got that too... just some pollen I'm sure.

If in doubt you can perform an OCLT (See Pool School for directions) and it can help tell you if your pool has a nascent algae bloom or not. If not, assume its pollen at this point in the year.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

We were having issues with lots of small bits floating on the surface and the solution for us was using hairnets on our skimmer net. It's been an excellent solution because it is both effective and cheap! 100 hair nets for $6.08 delivered from Amazon. There is a thread on the subject but I don't know how to embed a thread into a message.

Approx. 20k gal, kidney-shaped, inground, concrete pool built in 1974. 33' long. 18', 14', & 15' across. 3' to 8' deep. Hayward cartridge filter (c1200e). 1 hp, single speed motor replaced 12/2015. In-line Pentair 320 Chlorine/Bromine feeder (do not use). Screened.

7. Back To Top    #7

yes it is probably pollen. I won't worry about it for now.
    Nice hairnet trick

Pat

8. Back To Top    #8

I was reading another thread about someone cleaning out a green monster and I think these hairnets would come in very handy. Since you just peel off the hairnet, there's not net cleaning required (I'm assuming it gets dirty during the cleaning process).
    Approx. 20k gal, kidney-shaped, inground, concrete pool built in 1974. 33' long. 18', 14', & 15' across. 3' to 8' deep. Hayward cartridge filter (c1200e). 1 hp, single speed motor replaced 12/2015. In-line Pentair 320 Chlorine/Bromine feeder (do not use). Screened.