Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH, TA, and borates adjustment order?

1. Back To Top    #1

pH, TA, and borates adjustment order?

I see on Pool Math pH, TA, and borates affect each other. So when adjusting, is there a preferred order?
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: pH, TA, and borates adjustment order?

It depends on the situation. Generally pH and TA are adjusted together to some extent and you want those in line before increasing the borate level.

Is this a general question or are you trying to adjust something?

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in the process of opening and happened to notice on Pool Math that the 3 seem to interact.

I'm waiting for FC to drop from SLAM level to normal before I test pH again (it was 7.2 before starting the SLAM). I planned on making changes to pH and TA first, if needed. Last will be borates, via boric acid.

Does this plan sound reasonable?

Not noticing the interaction on Pool Math in the past, I didn't adjust in any particular order and didn't experience any obvious problems.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

With an SWG I wouldn't raise your TA much above 80 unless your pH is constantly dropping. Adjust that and your pH first. Don't forget to overshoot your pH a bit since the boric acid will cause it to drop slightly.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the tips.

Yep, I'm well aware of keeping TA down with the SWCG (I participated on PF for years before coming over here). Since adding borates and lowering TA to 70-80, I haven't had to add a drop of acid in 4 years......pH settles at 7.5 and stays there all season.

So, does my plan sound reasonable?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Oh yeah, plus you know your pool better than anybody else. If you can get the pH to settle at 7.5 all season then you certainly have a good grasp on what you are doing!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm still learning.

Thanks for your help.

8. Back To Top    #8

Newb here but I just did it.
    My TA was 120.
    I lowered it by dropping PH to 7.2 with MA several days in a row and aerating to get the PH back up.

Then I added Borax and had to use a bit more MA to get PH down. Today, I added some Baking soda as my PH was a little low and I had pushed my TA down to 60.

So yes, it's a dance.
    28,000 Gallon, IG, Vinyl, SWG, Sand Filter
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter
    Flotec Pump
    Hayward Turbulent Flo Chamber

9. Back To Top    #9

Your plan sounds reasonable and smart to me! Always get pH/TA to "stable" levels (and maintain them there), before adding borates... Or more borates in your case.