Skimmer socks

tamaralemus

Silver Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
Port Neches, TX
A good piece of advice I learned from here was running a skimmer sock (aka hair net) when i find extra debris or heavy loads of pollen. Found here...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002XK2FS0/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered these last year, worked great from what I remember. Hubby left them outside most of the summer (in shade), but it gets pretty hot here in Southeast Texas. It seems like they are way more fragile, sometimes get a hole in them just pulling one out of the bag, and the "stretchy" elastic part does not spring back, so many times the net is all collapsed in the skimmer basket on the sides. Is that how these normally are, or did the heat degrade them?? Or does anyone use a different type/brand that may be sturdier, but not the actual socks that are not disposable?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I purchased these this weekend, they have not arrived yet. I like the idea of 7¢ per net, the ease of purchasing, no taxes, no shipping, and the ability to just pull off, toss, and replace. I will report back my results. Shipping takes about a week, so see ya next week.

I have been using the hair nets mentioned by tamaralemus above for a week now. Just changed out my first set. I think they are close to ideal, but I do have to resist my desire for a skimmer sock to trap every tiny little particle.

Pros
1. A joy to remove, throw away, and replace. No rinsing out dirty old socks.
2. Water flow virtually unimpeded, even after one week.
3. 7 cents each

Cons
1. They don't seem to get as coated with dust and pollen as a real sock - very small particles probably pass right through.

I guess its all about your preferences. I am going to stick with the hair nets, at least until my first filter cartridge clean, and then we shall see. Until then, I will let the skimmers skim, the filter filter, and use the hair nets to help ease the filter's load.

Besides, I have 96 more, lol

I did reorder some, and they are fine. I guess being that they are a year old and were in the 90+ summer heat they degraded. The new ones are perfect. Has anyone tried using one inside the other to catch the smaller stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.