Pool Renovation Rebar Repair

May 23, 2014
Mesa, AZ
My pool was chipped out with 15 rusty rebar spots in bottom. On the day of mini-pebble application, I watched one of the workers spraying rustoleum in the holes and then filling them with a concrete? patch. I had been reading about steps for rebar repair and all said that the rusted rebar must be cut out before patching AND that the patch should be allowed to cure for 24 hours before shooting the finish.

I called the PB and told him this was unacceptable and I wanted the rusted rebar cut out. He called one of the workers and he started digging out the plaster patch and cutting the rebar out, but the rest of the crew was already shooting the walls of the pool and he had to stop. The worker didn't finish all of the holes and he only shoved the chunks of plaster patch back into the holes.

I have expressed my reservations to the PB about the quality of the job, but his attitude is that he has built over 40,000 pools and that the mini-pebble is such a good product that there will not be any bleed through. Sure the warranty is for 15 years, but it specifically states that the Owner assumes all responsibility for plaster finish discoloration or staining caused by quality of fill water and/or improper water chemistry, and rebar bleed through.

I would like to know what the industry standard is for repairing rusted rebar found during pool renovation.

There are so many pools built so many different kinds of ways with so many different kinds of failures and modes of failure I'm not sure you could really say there is a nationwide industry standard.

Were you having bled through before?

Generally when replastering a pool you don't want to expose the rebar. Depending on the circumstances you may want to cover with concrete rather than cut it out.

Generally you are correct you do not want to have any rebar near the final finish product.

You may want to private message OnBalance, our resident plaster expert, he would know what the industry standard is and give you a more definitive response.

Thank you for the reply. I'm just figuring out how to find my post and check for replies.

Yes, my pool had bare spots which we had patched, but when they chipped out the old plaster they exposed those spots plus more that had not shown through yet. I have since heard many other issues with the pool remodelers here in the Phoenix area and realize that I probably wouldn't have gotten a better job anywhere else. Many pool remodelers go out of business and then re-open with a new name. I think they are expecting people to not stay in their homes for longer than 5 or so years and so it won't be their problem.

Bottom line, the job is done and I hope it lasts. I am busy now keeping it sparkling with advice from you guys and my Taylor test kit. Thank you.

I am awaiting repair of my rebar show through onMay 31. They are going to drain pool and do he fix. Pool is in beginning of 4th season.
5223b812b45392bcb3046d801e47253f.jpg

30k gallon. Gunite wth verde diamond brite finish. Mastertemp 400. Salt water

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.