Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too many angles in the plumbing? Is there flexible piping?

1. Back To Top    #1

Too many angles in the plumbing? Is there flexible piping?

I even brought pictures! And if you read all the way down there is probably a funny story.

So I have replaced my cartridge filter with a sand filter. However, because the inlet and outlets are in different locations, it required me to redo the plumbing. There are a few drips with the new pipes in places (can those be caulked?) but the water coming out of the filter in the pipes, the pipe vibrates, so I don't know if there is too much pressure with the way I have it now, or if it's because it's somewhat "floating", if that makes sense by the pictures.

I am apparently over my attachment quota but the link to the original plumbing is here and the new plumbing is here

In hindsight maybe I should have used more gently rounding curves to connect the filter to the heater, but I was working with the existing plumbing and joints that I already had. My mind works in right angles not curves! If this fails, is there a flexible tube/pipe I can use instead of rigid pvc?

Also, there is a small but steady trickle of water coming from the backwash port when the pump is running. This just means new spider gasket, right?

Ok so story time if you care. The section between the filter and the union between the filter and the pump. When I had cut all of the pieces, I put them together to make sure they were all the right size and fit correctly before I cemented them. That particular section, primer had spilled on the pipe and the fitting into the filter, so I could not pull it apart to actually cement it. When I turned on the pump, it worked for about 3 seconds, saw water returning into the pool, and then that section of pipe came apart, in a glorious Mt. Vesuvius fashion, completely drenching me. It was also drenching the pump cut off outlet, and I was very nervous about reaching under the cover to shut it off, but what could I do? (spoiler: I wasn't electrocuted.) Once it dries I primer and cement that section, let it cure. The next day I go back out (bringing a shield with me in case I need to block the water to access the pump shut off.) and I turn the pump on again. Once again water erupts, but this time from the part of the pipe that goes into the union! Apparently I didn't cement either end! So I dried it off, cemented it, tried it again, all working! Hooray!
    IG gunite freeform pool with attached spa, stone surround, 18,000 gallons, Pentair Tagelus TA60, Pentair Whisperflo WF-8 pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too many angles in the plumbing? Is there flexible piping?

There is flexible pipe but it isn't as smooth as ridged pipes so it has more head loss per foot. I don't think it would buy you anything.

As for the vibration, you have a huge pump so the water velocity in the pipes is probably very high and causing the vibration. I know you need that pump size for the spa but for normal circulation, you might consider a two speed motor running on low.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the vibration bad? It's not huge or noisy, I'm just trying to be hyper aware of everything. I hate to put in another motor because this motor is pretty much new!
    IG gunite freeform pool with attached spa, stone surround, 18,000 gallons, Pentair Tagelus TA60, Pentair Whisperflo WF-8 pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Not unless it is causing a problem (e.g. loosing joints).
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater