Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Magnalatch rekey or replace?

1. Back To Top    #1

Magnalatch rekey or replace?

The previous owners of my house didn't leave me a key for the pool gate (or the front door, or the side door for that matter) I contacted magnalatch and they sent me replacements, but they don't work my lock. Does anyone know if its possible to get it rekeyed, or should I just replace it?
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Magnalatch rekey or replace?

I had one on my previous pool and have two of them on my current pool, and I have never, ever locked one. I just have them for the safety of little ones who shouldn't have access to the pool.

I suppose since it's pretty easy to pull one off, you could take it to a locksmith and ask. If you have to be able to lock it, your only other options are a separate lock or replace it. They cost about $60 online.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm mostly trying to cover myself by having the gate locked. I don't have any kids, but I do live in a densely populated area and i worry a little bit about teenagers paying a visit while I'm sleeping or not at home. I think I'll call my locksmith and see what he can do for me.
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Further investigation shows that there are two different versions and keys for Magnalatch. Here is a link to the older type, assuming they already sent you the newer type.

Magna-Latch Duplicate Key- Old Style
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome... thanks
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I got my new keys and after a little lock lube everything is working great.
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Great to see a pool related problem solved for less tha $2.00. Not often that happens.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ