Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Equipment Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Equipment Question

I have roughly a 13 to 16k gallon pool, with a 1hp centurion pump and a hayward s244t sand filter. I have an Autopilot RC-42 salt system. I had trouble keeping the pool clean last season with my chlorine levels always fluctuation off the wall. i was running my pump 10 hrs a day in 5hr cycles. What i was wondering is if my equipment is adequate for my pool size or i was just not running long enough. last season was my first year owning a pool so i am not very experienced and most of the time i was getting my levels read by the pool stores (leslies, and fox) in my area (Oklahoma City). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pool Dim.jpg
    20141010_172404.jpg
    20141010_172315.jpg
    15K Gal Inground Pool, Plaster, Hayward S244T filter, Centurion 1HP pump, Autopilot SWG RC-42

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Equipment Question

Your pump and filter are more than enough for your pool. I don't know much about SWG so let others comment.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

Frankly I think your equipment is OK. I would get a larger filter but that is just my preference.

I think you have residual algae that is why your numbers go crazy.

You would do better if you do two things.

1. Start testing your own water. Get a K-6000 or TF 100 test kit Generally a kit with the FAS/DPD chlorine test.

2. SLAM your pool and perform an OCLT

So start by reading Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

This can be a lot less work and a lot more margaritas by the pool
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Frankly I think your equipment is OK. I would get a larger filter but that is just my preference.

I think you have residual algae that is why your numbers go crazy.

You would do better if you do two things.

1. Start testing your own water. Get a K-6000 or TF 100 test kit Generally a kit with the FAS/DPD chlorine test.

2. SLAM your pool and perform an OCLT

So start by reading Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

This can be a lot less work and a lot more margaritas by the pool
    I bought the TF-100 but i am not very good reading the tests. what is a OCLT? i completely drained my pool two days ago powerwashed it and are in the process of filling it back up. so i have no chemicals other than 2 lbs of choline shock that i put on it last night. I also bought the laterals for my pool filter because i was getting sand in the pool, and bought zeolite because the san in the filter was getting clumped up when i opened to see the laterals. do you thing the new sand will help too?
    15K Gal Inground Pool, Plaster, Hayward S244T filter, Centurion 1HP pump, Autopilot SWG RC-42