Check Valve?

Feb 27, 2016
Roselle, IL
I am getting ready to install a new heater on my new pool this weekend. I was reading my installation and operations manual from the heater and they recommend a check valve be installed between the heater output and any SWG or chlorinator. Anyone done this? Anyone have a picture?

H8GH7Um.jpg

Can you recommend the size check valve? The heater has 2" plumbing, but my system will be 1.5" hard piped. I could use a 2" check and downsize on the back of it or use a 1.5" check. Personally I like to use the bigger check valve since the valve is usually smaller than piping coming in and out, creating a restriction.

Thanks.

No check valve needed for a SWG. Definitely need one if you have a Trichlor tablet dispenser.

Better to use 2" plumbing at the pad to reduce head loss. If you install a check valve, get the ones like the Jandy Neverlube.

Lots of folks put them in but if your chlorinator is further down the line no real need. Keep in mind that the there are two different check valves and one holds up under higher heat than the other. I see lots of the flapper ones where the flap is all curled up do to the hot water. Usually because the heater doesn't go thru a cool down period and thus the warm water melts the flap over time.

Here's an example of a check valve used for heaters. Amazon.com : Jandy 7305 180-Degree, 2-Inch to 2-1/2-Inch Check Valve : Swimming Pool Pump Parts : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.