Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new pool owner

Hello, I have been lurking around and doing a lot of reading here. I finally got my pool installed and full of water on Saturday. I have a 24 foot round Radiant AG pool, 14,000 gallons. I have my TF-100 test kit and below are the initial readings. Not really wanting to keep the pool store in my life since its about a 40 minute drive. Below are my test readings. I have read pool school and just want a little feed back on my next steps. Its all brand new to me and a little overwhelming to be honest. I can go out today on my lunch break and get all supplies needed.

CYA- 18
    Total Chlorine- .1
    Free Chlorine-.1
    PH-7.2
    TA-81

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new pool owner

Quote Originally Posted by bmoore2 View Post
    Hello, I have been lurking around and doing a lot of reading here. I finally got my pool installed and full of water on Saturday. I have a 24 foot round Radiant AG pool, 14,000 gallons. I have my TF-100 test kit and below are the initial readings. Not really wanting to keep the pool store in my life since its about a 40 minute drive. Below are my test readings. I have read pool school and just want a little feed back on my next steps. Its all brand new to me and a little overwhelming to be honest. I can go out today on my lunch break and get all supplies needed.

CYA- 18
    Total Chlorine- .1
    Free Chlorine-.1
    PH-7.2
    TA-81
    Pool math says:
    113 oz of bleach
    40 oz of borax
    50 oz of baking soda.

Does that sound right? Am I missing anything?

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello and welcome to TFP! Music to my ears ... "Already have the TF-100". So let's talk results shall we:
    CYA - round-up to 20 ... still a bit low. So plan on increasing at least to 30 ppm. Make sure to use the Poolmath Calculator and practice it well. It's fantastic.
    FC - That's what we look for based on your CYA. Your Target FC is 3 right now, but if you increase CYA to 30 your FC should be 4. I would recommend an FC in the range of 3-5, and NEVER below 2 or else algae can set in. So put a little liquid bleach in there right away.
    pH - is a little low. For a day or two not too bad. Watch if though. If it doesn't get up to the mid 7s in a couple days, you might want to add a little Borax to be safe.
    TA is fine

The only thing I didn't mention was CC. You usually check that immediately after testing FC. CC is your transitional chlorine waiting to be oxidized by the sun. If it starts to climb over .5, you need to watch everything closely. Could be trouble. So other than a couple adjustments above, you should be fine. Make your adjustments with the pump running and re-check in about 15 minutes or so to ensure the FC is back up. CYA takes a day or two to record on the new test.

Hope that helps. Let is know if you have any more questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you so much!!!!!! I will keep you guys posted on results.

5. Back To Top    #5

One more question, since everything is brand new, should I SLAM the pool or just bring it up to normal levels?

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome bmoore2!

How confident are you in your test readings? The reason I ask it that it would be very hard to get your results. CYA is only accurate to within about 10, FC to .5, and TA to about 10. Are you sure the results are correct? I only ask because I've been there too. If the test isn't correct you won't be putting in the right chemicals.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Just had to stop in and say "Howdy" bmoore2!.

bmoreswim

PS - If TFP made one of those maps with little dots representing people's locations, yours might be all by itself. But you aren't alone here!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!