Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinator and VS Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorinator and VS Pump

Just installed a variable speed pump. Trying to dial in speeds. My RG60G is throwing a water alarm unless I'm running at 45%. Seems awfully fast and not what others are able to run at. Was hoping I could run it slower.

Reading some other threads, it sounded like salt level could be a factor (although I'm not getting a low salt alarm). If my salinity is low (but not low enough for the generator to throw an alarm), could that possibly be causing this?

Also, if my cell is dirty, could that possibly be a factor as well?
    37,000 gal IG concrete free-form, Hayward TriStar VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Polaris w/ booster pump, CircuPool RJ60g SWG, Hayward OnCommand w/ remote

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorinator and VS Pump

The Circupool SWG's do require a faster flow rate than the Pentair and Hayward generators. I think Circupool was 25 gpm and the others 15 gpm, recalling from memory. I am not for sure, but I don't think the salt would effect the flow rate. Dirty cell, only if dirty enough to impede flow, which is unlikely.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

The design of that particular cell (upside down U) makes it prone to collecting gas within the cell especially at low RPM and eventually will trigger a low flow alarm. Not much you can do other than run at higher RPM. Several forum members have reported the same issue.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mattttt25 View Post
    Just installed a variable speed pump. Trying to dial in speeds. My RG60G is throwing a water alarm unless I'm running at 45%. Seems awfully fast and not what others are able to run at. Was hoping I could run it slower.

Reading some other threads, it sounded like salt level could be a factor (although I'm not getting a low salt alarm). If my salinity is low (but not low enough for the generator to throw an alarm), could that possibly be causing this?

Also, if my cell is dirty, could that possibly be a factor as well?
    My RJ 60 is the same way , iam running it at 60% to get good flow with no lights ..
    Consider yourself lucky to run it at 45% !!!!!!
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

5. Back To Top    #5

My Circupool rj30+ operates with the flow rate at 20 GPM. Per the instructions, if you operate at the lower flow rates you should install the SWG upside down so the gas does not collect in the chamber. Also check that your flow switch is oriented properly.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all. I read through some older posts and saw some suggestions. I called CircuPool and confirmed the unit can be rotated 180 degrees (upside down). I did that and I can now run it very low (15%) without an alarm. However, I do build up quite a gas bubble. I settled in at 30%, which doesn't allow a bubble to form.
    37,000 gal IG concrete free-form, Hayward TriStar VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Polaris w/ booster pump, CircuPool RJ60g SWG, Hayward OnCommand w/ remote

7. Back To Top    #7

Good news! Thanks for the follow up.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks all. I read through some older posts and saw some suggestions. I called CircuPool and confirmed the unit can be rotated 180 degrees (upside down). I did that and I can now run it very low (15%) without an alarm. However, I do build up quite a gas bubble. I settled in at 30%, which doesn't allow a bubble to form.
    Do you have a pic of that cell upside down ?
    Sean Hannon
    Circupool V3 VS pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't, but it's exactly as it sounds. My cell is installed in a horizontal section of pipe. I simply loosened both unions and rotated it 180 degrees. The clear plastic section is now facing the ground.

10. Back To Top    #10

These folks are great, seems they have been there, done that for just about any problem that arises.
    20' x 32' (22,200 Gal.), I/G Stonescape finish pool, Pentair Intelliflo VF 3 Hp pump, Pentair CC200 filter, Pentair Intelliflo IC40 SWG, built 2014, TF-100 test kit w/ Speed stirrer.

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't, but it's exactly as it sounds. My cell is installed in a horizontal section of pipe. I simply loosened both unions and rotated it 180 degrees. The clear plastic section is now facing the ground.
    I'd like to see this too. I usually run my pump very slowly, and this contradicts what was posted in another thread. But, it sounds pretty simple.
    Look on page 7, notes for Fig. 1. It says it can't be run upside down.
    http://www.circupool.com/mobile/down...usersguide.pdf
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

image.jpg

The RJ manual shows it being installed inverted when using a low water flow rate.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    image.jpg

The RJ manual shows it being installed inverted when using a low water flow rate.
    Ok, thats a different cell than my RJ60.. I have the older one
    Sean Hannon
    Circupool V3 VS pump

14. Back To Top    #14

My system/cell is three years old. I called CircuPool and spoke to Jason. He said there was no problem with inverting the cell if it is mounted horizontally. As long as it is oriented properly in terms of direction of flow, you won't have any problems.

Give them a call if you have any concerns. But this simple adjustment solved my problem.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    The online manual for the RJ is different online than it is in the box. I mounted mine upside-down as the manual in the box said, and it is working great. In fact, it's working better than my CompuPool CPSC48 did, as it would collect some air in the top of the cell, the RJ is not collecting any air at all. I'm extremely pleased so far.

Also, my CPSC constantly said I had low salt, even when I cleaned the cell and recalibrated the system (which is a pain, by the way). The RJ says I have 3500 ppm, which is what my Taylor drop test says.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!