Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Good Morning,

How important is it to chase the TA? If my CSI is within range and my numbers are always good and my water has the glass like beautiful appearance ... Do I keep trying to get it to the 60-80 range? Try as I might - it seems my pool stays at 90-100 .... and believe me -I try!! I chased it last summer and I am chasing it again now ....

Thanks for your feedback.

If your pH is stable enough to your liking and your acid demand isn't excessive (again, to your satisfaction) then no, you don't need to lower it. People push their TA lower to help alleviate pH rise and acid-demand due to aeration. If you're happy, then go enjoy your pool.

MATT!!!! The lightbulb just went on for me!!!! My constant battle with pH rise .... yes - I remember reading about that somewhere ....!! I wish I could high five you or at least give you the satisfaction of seeing that light bulb go on over my head!!! My kids complain about their eyes and they usually catch it rising before I actually do. I will test and, sure enough, it has risen to closer to 7.8.

This leads me to two things ..... NO - my pH is not stable enough to my liking ... so I WANT to chase my TA down. To be clear - is that JUST muriatic acid and aeration? Is there ANY other way - more effective?

and ....What do you mean '...and your acid demand isn't excessive.'

Yes, muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.2 then aerate until the pH rises to 7.5-7.6. Repeat the process. Measure TA and keep cycling acid/aeration until you get it low enough.

Folks with high TA often find that their pH rises quickly and that they have to add acid frequently (daily) and in large quantities. That's the acid demand I was talking about.

Once/If you pH gets stable and your TA is adjusted, try to keep your pool water pH between 7.6-7.8 as that will limit pH rise from CO2 outgassing. Normally pH has little effect on eye comfort. Typical culprits for eye discomfort are high CCs or too much eye rubbing - see this article.

Swimming Teaching: Bloodshot Eyes After Swimming or Sore Eyes From Swimming?

MATT!!!! The lightbulb just went on for me!!!! My constant battle with pH rise .... yes - I remember reading about that somewhere ....!! I wish I could high five you or at least give you the satisfaction of seeing that light bulb go on over my head!!! My kids complain about their eyes and they usually catch it rising before I actually do. I will test and, sure enough, it has risen to closer to 7.8.

This leads me to two things ..... NO - my pH is not stable enough to my liking ... so I WANT to chase my TA down. To be clear - is that JUST muriatic acid and aeration? Is there ANY other way - more effective?

and ....What do you mean '...and your acid demand isn't excessive.'
Acid is how you lower TA, period. Acid also lowers pH, and aeration -- including kids splashing -- raises pH back up. If you just keep adding acid to lower pH whenever it rises, eventually the TA will go down and you'll go longer and longer between additions and it will take less and less acid each time. Or you get aggressive and really work it down with fountains and so on. It's going to take the same amount of acid no matter what. It's just a question of whether or not you want to mess with it every other day for weeks or devote a weekend to it and drive it down fast. That's the excessive part. Some people enjoy constant tinkering with the pool chemistry and some people would rather not mess with acid on a regular basis and are willing, even eager, to just get it over and done with. It sounds like you'd like to get aggressive and drive pH down into the 60-70 range and buy yourself some breathing room. Be aware that if the fill water is high in TA, every time you top off the splashout it will mess you up. Anyway... Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity is the how-to. If you search for "aerator" you'll likely find some pictures people have posted of their homemade PVC devices.

Thank you both - I am definitely a hit-it-hard so I can relax later kind of gal. I dont mind the maintenance but I am not looking to always be tinkering with chemistry. I am going to test my hose water from my house to get an understanding of where that is as well .... which would explain a TON!! I often have to add water with a 12 year old and a 16 year old!! Our house is used daily in swim season by many many very active kids.

Thanks much and I will plug along here.

Have a great day.

Thank you both - I am definitely a hit-it-hard so I can relax later kind of gal. I dont mind the maintenance but I am not looking to always be tinkering with chemistry. I am going to test my hose water from my house to get an understanding of where that is as well .... which would explain a TON!! I often have to add water with a 12 year old and a 16 year old!! Our house is used daily in swim season by many many very active kids.

Thanks much and I will plug along here.

Have a great day.
Once you get it tamed, you'll learn your pool's appetite. I know how much acid to add when I top off the pool, and I usually pour it into the combined return jet and hose stream as it fills. Really, it will get to be that routine and troublefree.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.