Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 48 hours in SLAM- on track ?

1. Back To Top    #1

48 hours in SLAM- on track ?

I'm 48 hours in and looking pretty good with only 1 ppm loss of chlorine overnight.
    This morning:
    FC: 15
    pH: 7.4
    TA: 100
    CYA: 40

There are a lot of particles in the water I'm measuring. I added 1 cup of cellulose fiber thinking that might catch some of that.

Visibility is about 18-20" down. I've brushed and vacuumed as long as I could see black stuff come up (since I can't see down there.)

Am I on the brink of a breakthrough? It seems like this same Aqua green color has been same for 18 hours.
    Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100
    Waiting to stop relocating until I build my dream pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 48 hours in SLAM- on track ?

You're 90% through!

Unfortunately, like so many things in life, the first 90% takes only 10% of the time, and the last 10% takes 90%. Someone can frame a house in a day, but it takes weeks to finish, right?

Okay, maybe 90% is a little extreme. But you are making rapid progress and you obviously understand what's going on. The fiber in the filter should really help speed things along. Do whatever you can to improve circulation down low where the stuff settles. Point a return down, or set the vacuum head on the floor but turned sideways so it acts as a drain. You want to strain out all that particulate matter, so you have to keep it in circulation so the filter can grab it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You are definitely on the right track! Keep it up and don't slow down. Make sure to keep your FC at 16 based on your CYA. But your low TA concerns me. You might want to add some baking soda just to get it up to about 50 or so. A TA of 10 is quite low....assuming the test was performed correctly.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Richard! One of the things that can really screw up ones efforts is misreading CYA. Is there somewhere on here some good illustration on what it means to understand "can no longer see black dot" in that test. I started with zero CYA and used a very measured and stingy process with some dichlor to raise it.
    Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Edit: TA is 100
    TFTest Kits TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by cfclay View Post
    Thanks Richard! One of the things that can really screw up ones efforts is misreading CYA. Is there somewhere on here some good illustration on what it means to understand "can no longer see black dot" in that test. I started with zero CYA and used a very measured and stingy process with some dichlor to raise it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ooh! That's better. Normally we don't worry about it, but I had to ask. Keep-up the great work.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

8. Back To Top    #8

48 hours in SLAM- on track ?

Still slamming over in Little Rock with about a 3-4 point lose in chlorine overnight. Full day 5 with

FC: 16
    TA: 100
    PH: 7.5
    CYA: 40

I can see the pool lines now!

Just keep on doing what I'm doing?

Seems longer than I hoped for.

TFTest Kits TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Outstanding!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Outstanding!
    It ain't sparkly yet
    TFTest Kits TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

It took more than five days to go from clear to scary. You're actually doing very well time-wise.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    It took more than five days to go from clear to scary. You're actually doing very well time-wise.
    That's why I recommend this forum! Thanks for the support!
    TFTest Kits TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Made it! 7 days in!
    TFTest Kits TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by cfclay View Post
    Made it! 7 days in!
    Impressive.

How much do you reckon that water would have cost you from the pool store?

15. Back To Top    #15

Hmm. Hard to say . I used about 9 gallons of bleach and a couple cups of dichlor I pulled out of the closet.
    TFTest Kits TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16