Recommendation for Heat Pumps

Oct 9, 2015
baton rouge
While solar has worked amazingly well, this year with El Nino I am sick and tired of the ups and downs of the pool temp because of all the rain. Ready to throw in the towel and
get some good old fashioned fossil fuel power.

I'm looking at these 2. Anyone have any experience? Any other suggestions?

Hayward HP50TA Residential Pool Heat Pump Titanium 50,000 BTU AHRI

or
Hayward HP21104T HeatPro Titanium 110,000 BTU AHRI Residential Pool Heat Pump

- 8000 gallon pool in New Orleans
- Supplemented with Solar
- Want to use it as close to year round as possible with temp no lower than 82 degrees

I already have the electrical done.

Install location is a bit of an issue, I have limited area where I would like to put it, so size is important
Do I REALLY REALLY need 24" all around the install??? On one side against the house the best I could get is about 12"

Thanks!

It would only be one of the four sides that I would not have a lot of clearance. Above is no problem. I think like others who said, it would marginally affect performance.

Anyone have these units and can recommend?

After reading about some of the comments for heat pumps elsewhere I'm beginning to wonder if that is a good option for winter where temps get into the 50s.

Another consideration is this small Hayward H-Series 100K BTU nat gas heater.

Problem is that running a dedicated gas line would be very difficult for me.

Given this is a small heater, I'm wondering if anyone has heard of something like this running off a 3/4" gas line that was installed for an outside BBQ?

Heat pumps need a lot of air circulation as they pull the heat from the air and return a lot of cold air to the area around them. If that cold air can not move away and be replaced by warmer air, then the efficiency drops off.
Ideally a heat pump for a pool would work best in the middle of a black top parking lot.

I am successfully running that H series heater off of a 1/2" line, that, where it tees off of the trunk line in the house is almost 40' to the heater. Would I recommend everybody do it..., no. You need to test pressure and flow at that distance to be sure it will fire properly. Mine clocks in, from the meter readings, right at 100,000 BTU

I haven't installed my HP50HA heat pump yet, but I fully expect it to do a good job making up the difference in heat that I am lacking from my solar panels. Needmoresun also installed one this spring and is happy with it so far. Your climate is great for a heat pump. Are you in New Orleans or Red Stick? Says Red Stick over there <----- in your profile. Either place is good for a heat pump though. I lived in Metry for 6 or 7 years.

I haven't installed my HP50HA heat pump yet, but I fully expect it to do a good job making up the difference in heat that I am lacking from my solar panels. Needmoresun also installed one this spring and is happy with it so far. Your climate is great for a heat pump. Are you in New Orleans or Red Stick? Says Red Stick over there <----- in your profile. Either place is good for a heat pump though. I lived in Metry for 6 or 7 years.

OK you had me going for a minute...."red stick" never heard it called that before. I dont know why it says Baton Rouge....no I'm in N'Awlins.

- - - Updated - - -

Heat pumps need a lot of air circulation as they pull the heat from the air and return a lot of cold air to the area around them. If that cold air can not move away and be replaced by warmer air, then the efficiency drops off.
Ideally a heat pump for a pool would work best in the middle of a black top parking lot.

I am successfully running that H series heater off of a 1/2" line, that, where it tees off of the trunk line in the house is almost 40' to the heater. Would I recommend everybody do it..., no. You need to test pressure and flow at that distance to be sure it will fire properly. Mine clocks in, from the meter readings, right at 100,000 BTU

Thats great to know.....I'll have to call a gas installer to have them come out and take a measurement. Would be a lot easier for me to add this small gas heater than a far larger heat pump....at least until I can gauge how often I would actually use the pool in the winter. Having a removable acrylic enclosure installed in the fall, and a couple of infrared heaters inside. Should be beautiful on sunny days in the dead of winter.....but on overcast days not so fun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.