New To Forum-Green Pool

First time on a forum thought I would give it a shot. I was going to open pool today, and when I pulled cover back I noticed pool was green. Only second time since I have had pool it was green. So started looking for tips on how to clear it up and found this forum. Last time was horrible local pool store was not much help at all. I just done like most threw a lot of time, and money at it until it cleared up.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

We can certainly help get you straightened out and for less money than the pool store.

The cornerstone of the TFP method is accurate testing using one of the recommended test kits. So the faster you get that on order, the faster you can get started.

Welcome to TFP!

We recommend either a Taylor K-2006C or a TF100xl. Both are available at TFTestkits.net. Or the Taylor kit is pretty widely available. The C or the xl are needed this time because you will need extra test reagents to clear the green pool. I have used the TF100 for 4 years now and love it.

With a good drop based test kit and FAS/DPD precision chlorine testing you will be able to follow this process to clear your pool, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Welcome! :wave:

You are not alone. Green pool + emptied wallet = search for answers.

You've probably been reading Pool School already so much that you feel like :crazy: So take a break from that and scroll through this and follow the links and look at the pictures. I'm sure there's pools worse looking than yours that were fixed up. Then do what they did. First step is a proper test kit. You can skip the article in Pool SChool and head straight to TFTestkits.net With a green pool, I'd suggest ordering the XL option right now, because you'll be burning through the chlorine test reagents at an amazing rate while clearing the swamp. Might as well get a salt test, too. Also, nobody who has bought a speedstir regrets it. That's no exaggeration. If you can't swing the speedstir right now, ask for one for Father's Day. It'll be a chunk o'change, but it's still got to be less than one trip to the pool store.

Does your local pool store use one of these, or does it only seem like it?

attachment.php

Welcome to TFP. Hopefully you're reading n clearing your pool up.

This site will help you clear it. It did it for me at my last pool. Saved me from the nightmare you had at that pool store.

Order one of the recommended testkits online as soon as you can (or find a local store that carries the recommended ones AND check the dates to make sure it isn't near it's expiration date since some stores don't sell many of these more expensive but truly amazing kits)

While it is in the mail you can prepare. Read the links, ask your questions, find local sources for bleach/chlorine (walmart, warehouse store, big hardware store, or a pool store if cheaper on bulk chlorine), and muriatic acid in case you need that. No point in buying anything yet until you get your test kit and see where you stand :)

You can also check to make sure your vacuum head, vac hose, brush head, pole, and leaf skimmer/leaf rake are all ready for war too, and order/buy whatever you/pool school deems appropriate for you that might be broke or missing.

Don't spend on anything you're not positive you need without asking. Responses are usually very, very fast. Use a cell phone to ask quick questions. Site works well on most smartphones.

You can do this. Thousands before you have :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maintain that puppy and keep brushing and vacuuming the crud out.

Yep! Your numbers are SLAM ready! Test every hour or two at first until it stop chugging the bleach, it will be a gradual slowing. Really be sure to give it enough for the overnight until morning test/add. You'll be at 3-4 times daily really fast. Put the time in now to get there sooner. Brush, vac as need. PSI check. Skimmer basket check. Careful not to hurt the walls with pool tools. You might get excited when it starts to look blue, but you still have to remain calm and slam safely.

image.jpg

I have been slaming pool for 9 days adding bleach twice a day to maintain a FC of 24. It is pretty clear now. I ran out of regeant to test my chlorine. So I have to wait until it comes in. I have been adding a gallon in morning, and in evening. Brushing and vacuuming twice a day. Only question is there is brown stuff on pool floor when I vaccum? I changed sand in filter before I started pool this year so I don't know if it is sand or algae.

I can't answer your question about the brown stuff, but it would be best to continue adding bleach in very similar quantities as you have been until your reagents arrive.

Can you see the bottom?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support