Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New To Forum-Green Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New To Forum-Green Pool

First time on a forum thought I would give it a shot. I was going to open pool today, and when I pulled cover back I noticed pool was green. Only second time since I have had pool it was green. So started looking for tips on how to clear it up and found this forum. Last time was horrible local pool store was not much help at all. I just done like most threw a lot of time, and money at it until it cleared up.
    18x36 Grecian
    Haywood Variable Speed Pump
    Gold line Aqua Plus With T-15 cell
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New To Forum-Green Pool

Welcome to TFP!

We can certainly help get you straightened out and for less money than the pool store.

The cornerstone of the TFP method is accurate testing using one of the recommended test kits. So the faster you get that on order, the faster you can get started.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

welcome to TFP, stick around and read some of the links in my signature
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

We recommend either a Taylor K-2006C or a TF100xl. Both are available at TFTestkits.net. Or the Taylor kit is pretty widely available. The C or the xl are needed this time because you will need extra test reagents to clear the green pool. I have used the TF100 for 4 years now and love it.

With a good drop based test kit and FAS/DPD precision chlorine testing you will be able to follow this process to clear your pool, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

You are not alone. Green pool + emptied wallet = search for answers.

You've probably been reading Pool School already so much that you feel like So take a break from that and scroll through this and follow the links and look at the pictures. I'm sure there's pools worse looking than yours that were fixed up. Then do what they did. First step is a proper test kit. You can skip the article in Pool SChool and head straight to TFTestkits.net With a green pool, I'd suggest ordering the XL option right now, because you'll be burning through the chlorine test reagents at an amazing rate while clearing the swamp. Might as well get a salt test, too. Also, nobody who has bought a speedstir regrets it. That's no exaggeration. If you can't swing the speedstir right now, ask for one for Father's Day. It'll be a chunk o'change, but it's still got to be less than one trip to the pool store.

Does your local pool store use one of these, or does it only seem like it?

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP. Hopefully you're reading n clearing your pool up.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

This site will help you clear it. It did it for me at my last pool. Saved me from the nightmare you had at that pool store.

Order one of the recommended testkits online as soon as you can (or find a local store that carries the recommended ones AND check the dates to make sure it isn't near it's expiration date since some stores don't sell many of these more expensive but truly amazing kits)

While it is in the mail you can prepare. Read the links, ask your questions, find local sources for bleach/chlorine (walmart, warehouse store, big hardware store, or a pool store if cheaper on bulk chlorine), and muriatic acid in case you need that. No point in buying anything yet until you get your test kit and see where you stand

You can also check to make sure your vacuum head, vac hose, brush head, pole, and leaf skimmer/leaf rake are all ready for war too, and order/buy whatever you/pool school deems appropriate for you that might be broke or missing.

Don't spend on anything you're not positive you need without asking. Responses are usually very, very fast. Use a cell phone to ask quick questions. Site works well on most smartphones.

You can do this. Thousands before you have
    If I was effective, and your pool makes you smile, please make me smile and CLICK HERE to Become a TFP Supporter!
    Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!
    My Florida Pool: 20k IG plaster cart K-2006 | Washington State Pool I help with: 17k AG vinyl sand TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

image.jpg

What do I need to test first? Pic is what it looks like. Just took off cover.
    18x36 Grecian
    Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Test everything and post up the results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

[QUOTE=Pepsiman34;1013402]image.jpg

What do I need to test first? Pic is what it looks like. Just took off cover.
    PH 7.0
    CYA 45
    FC 12
    CC 0.5
    18x36 Grecian
    Sand Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Is the water circulating? Looks like you should just start the SLAM process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Yeah I put 3 Gallons of bleach in and it has been circulating for about 45 min now. I brush it real good.
    18x36 Grecian
    Sand Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Maintain that puppy and keep brushing and vacuuming the crud out.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Yep! Your numbers are SLAM ready! Test every hour or two at first until it stop chugging the bleach, it will be a gradual slowing. Really be sure to give it enough for the overnight until morning test/add. You'll be at 3-4 times daily really fast. Put the time in now to get there sooner. Brush, vac as need. PSI check. Skimmer basket check. Careful not to hurt the walls with pool tools. You might get excited when it starts to look blue, but you still have to remain calm and slam safely.
    If I was effective, and your pool makes you smile, please make me smile and CLICK HERE to Become a TFP Supporter!
    Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!
    My Florida Pool: 20k IG plaster cart K-2006 | Washington State Pool I help with: 17k AG vinyl sand TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Does the water look any better yet? Have you been able to test and add bleach as needed at least twice a day? Remember SLAM requires maintaining that shock FC.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Update? Did you do any SLAMING? Any questions?

17. Back To Top    #17

image.jpg

I have been slaming pool for 9 days adding bleach twice a day to maintain a FC of 24. It is pretty clear now. I ran out of regeant to test my chlorine. So I have to wait until it comes in. I have been adding a gallon in morning, and in evening. Brushing and vacuuming twice a day. Only question is there is brown stuff on pool floor when I vaccum? I changed sand in filter before I started pool this year so I don't know if it is sand or algae.
    18x36 Grecian
    Sand Filter

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

I can't answer your question about the brown stuff, but it would be best to continue adding bleach in very similar quantities as you have been until your reagents arrive.

Can you see the bottom?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes I can see bottom.
    18x36 Grecian
    Sand Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Exciting progress! Could the brown stuff be debris from the air? Any construction or trees or clay/sand within blowing sight of the pool?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast