Algae in sweep bag several days after SLAM and OCLT and after maintaining FC & pH

rj2020

Mar 12, 2016
Santa Rosa
FC 5ppm, CC 0, pH 7.4, TA 90, CYA 35, CH 290, current pool temp 69F (the warmest so far this year)

I started serious work on this 15,000 gallon pool about 5 weeks ago (based on lots of TFP advice! Thanks!). The CYA started at about 100. I drained and filled till I got to 35ppm. I then SLAM'd the pool and passed the OCLT test about 3 weeks ago. The CH was low so I added Calcium Chloride till I got it up to 290ppm. For a CYA of 35ppm, I have been keeping the FC between 4 and 6ppm. And I have been keeping the pH between 7.4 and 7.6.

I am using the same pool sweep and bag for the last year (Polaris 360). SLAMing the pool cleaned most of the algae in the bag but not all of it. I thought the rest would go away over time. There is no sign of algae anywhere else. Any ideas? I am installing a new bag so I can easily tell new algae quickly.

Re: Algae in sweep bag several days after SLAM and OCLT and after maintaining FC & pH

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

So you're seeing algae in the old sweep bag? I would suggest that you have cleaned the sweep bag completely before using it again in your pool. For sure taken the bag off and clean thoroughly, perhaps even running it through the dishwasher cycle with detergent (no heated dry) before using after the SLAM. Perhaps other members that have suction vacs could chime in on how to thoroughly clean a sweep bag.

Re: Algae in sweep bag several days after SLAM and OCLT and after maintaining FC & pH

I assumed that the SLAM process would have been sufficient to remove all traces of algae, even in the bag. Are there others that have seen the same result as me?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.