Jul 22, 2014
Oakbank, Canada
This was the last winter I decided to take down out Intex Ultra frame, going to leave it up from now on for the winters. So I decided to pull back the foam sheets, and gorilla pad to see how things are under there after redoing it last year. I pulled some big roots out last year when I had redone it, after having a pool on it for the 3 years previous. (was on a sand pile then in a frame).
About 10,000 small roots somewhat surprised me, but not really. I knew I had some larger roots I pulled out last year so these are just the smaller ones still trying. Nothing came through the pad nor foam, so that was good.
My plan dealing for these was two fold. I was no way going to rip up the ground again so only thing to do kill the roots. Being in a rural area I had access to some vegetation killer that kills anything it touches. So the ground under the pad got a soaking (3 times), that should solve that issue. I also decided to sacrifice a chainsaw blade and cut a 8" deep swath around the pool perimeter, cutting any roots that invading from outside the area. This also made sure the vegetation killer did not work to the trees.
Worked like a charm, had to sharpen it several times, but it did the trick. You would be surprised how well a nice slot you can cut in the ground! The $8 for a new blade was worth it. Sure found a lot more roots than I though I would, plus a couple good size ones (3-4" diameter).
Gorilla pad and foam all back down, waiting for the pool to be put up in couple weekends. Hope this keeps those roots at bay now.

If you drive some metal flashing (copper works great to repel roots) into the ground where you made the cuts, then any roots nearby will not grow back. Surface roots that are searching for water typically reside in the first 6"-12" of soil. So a physical barrier in those cuts would work quite well.

Over the weekend we drained and moved our pool to level the ground a little better and I was shocked at how many roots were under there! I have thick black rubber used for making large industrial conveyer belts under my pool so I am not worried about them growing through at all, but would be a little scared without the stuff I have! I did not cut them and instead just covered them back up. I believe they are from a nearby pine tree that I do not want to harm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.