Is it time for a new pump?

Thanks for the reply Texas! What would do something like this? I can't even get the bottom two bolts off the motor mounting plate they're so corroded which makes inspecting inside the motor impossible. Everything else seems to be in pretty decent shape (impeller, motor seal, etc. ) I'm fairly new to all this as we just installed the pool 4 years ago. It just seems like I shouldn't have to be dealing with something like this so soon.

G

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

You might be better off referencing the motor's model number and Googling a replacement dry end, all the way up to the seal plate. Just start with a clean slate. That's my guess. We have some outstanding hydraulics folks on this site, so perhaps one of them will have another suggestion as well. Like Pooldv noted, now would be a good time to enter all of your pool equipment info into your signature next time you get a chance. It will help others reference a possible replacement motor for you. Depending upon the specifications of that rusted motor, we may be able to give you some better dry-end replacement options.

uploadfromtaptalk1462143755726.jpguploadfromtaptalk1462143869839.jpg
Thanks, here are some pics of the pump and motor model numbers in case anyone can add any more info. Until I can get some more time to see what I should be putting in my signature.

G

Looks like your shaft seal has failed. Usually happens when the pump runs dry for a while due to low water, full skimmer, etc. After that happens, water is allowed out of the wet end and to the motor.

Has the motor failed or is it noisy? If not, a rusty motor case is just that.

If you'd like to replace the motor, you're looking for a 1hp round flange motor and PS-201 or equivalent shaft seal. Also will need housing and diffuser gaskets for Hayward Super Pump. Those pumps are pretty tough, so impeller, seal plate, and motor plate are typically reusable. Use an impact gun to get the corroded bolts out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi pool man,
Thanks for the great info. Yes, the motor has failed. It trips the breaker every time I attempted to turn it on and the impeller is jammed. I will try the impact gun idea but I don't like the idea of reusing old parts on a new motor unless I can 100% guarantee they are flawless. How would I verify the impeller has not failed also?

Thanks,
G

I guess if you want to guarantee the parts you're using are 100% flawless, you should buy a complete new pump. Would be a good time to upgrade to two speed or VS.

If your impeller has the brass threads and isn't broken or showing signs of wear it should be fine.

Many people do multiple motor changes using original pump parts. It all depends how much you want to spend.

Good call. The impact gun pulled those suckers right out! Looks like I'm back on track to follow your advice and replace the dry end. What all is involved with upgrading to a VS motor? Does this require a whole new pump assembly? Will I need new wiring for the electrical?

Thanks,
G

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.