Hello and general intro to my pool with some starting questions

May 1, 2016
Seminole, FL
Hi All!!

So, as my sig details, I have a 19000 gal pool, resurfaced last summer. Live near Tampa, and getting things back up for the summer, looking to make this summer better than previous. Pool has been a constant PITA, for a few reasons.

So long story short, after spending a few weeks getting everything clean and pretty, I am now turning my attention to chemistry and long term maintenance. Local store said I had high levels of a few things, but nothing really concerning, and the only way to fix any of it was drain half the pool anyway. That is what sent me looking for a different opinion, and I found this site. So, here are my numbers...

Free Chlorine -- 5 ppm
Total Chlorine -- Not tested :(
pH -- 7.2
TA -- 85 ppm
Calcium Hardness -- 360 ppm
Stabilizer -- 100 ppm
Total Dissolved Solids -- 3100 ppm
Salt -- Not tested :(

So, the TDS and Stabilizer where the ones I was concerned about. We used to have a SWG, but it died, and subsequently we were told we should not replace it, since the return lines cause high pressure / low flow, and we would constantly be burning elements out. So now we just add salt for the feel. I realize that is likely driving the TDS issue, but would like to confirm it.

As for stabilizer, we have historically had problems keeping chlorine right due to about 18 hours a day of direct brutal sunlight. (Okay, maybe I exaggerate slightly...) So when we began cleaning up this month, we started using tablets to get ahead of that. Did not realize the built in problem until today, so now I have high CYA, leading to high chlorine needs, and the recommendation is to drain and refill half the pool. That is NOT going to happen, so I am looking for a reasonable plan B.

I also have a question about pH... My eyes are pretty sensitive, so I was trying to keep the pool as close to saline as possible, why do you recommend the higher pH levels?

Finally, since tablets are apparently evil, and my schedule would cause any sanitation system that relies on my DAILY intervention will fail rapidly, and the SWG is apparently not an option any longer, I am now looking for some reasonable alternative. I saw some discussion on PoolLife tablets, but if there are other ideas, I am open to them.

Glad to be here, thanx for any advice!

Welcome to TFP!
First off, pool store testing often stinks. Your test results are a prime example. I am near sure they used an OTO kit for that chlorine of 5. That's the highest it goes....yet many people have much higher levels either by accident or design.
Then there is the CYA (Stabilizer)...that test also goes just to 100, so if you're very much higher you'd never know! UNLESS, you make a 1:1 pool water : tap water solution to use the next time, doubling the results.

Sooooo knowing these things I can tell you that the only way to get that CYA down is via water replacement. In Florida that is somewhat easier to do over time because of your frequent rains.. each time you lower your pool water level down due to the rain it helps. But until it gets down to a manageable level your FC requirements are higher. Please see this chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Have you considered using plain old liquid bleach from Publix or Wallyworld for your chlorine?

Its sort of REALLY important that you obtain your own test kit too. Taylor's K-2006 (no other #) is available on Amazon, and sometimes locally. And the one I use is fabulous. Its the TF-100 available from TFTestkits.net - They sell all our recommended test kits. (note: we do not profit or make any commission from touting these two kits. They're just the BEST)

Yippee :flower:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, please update a signature line (found under "Settings" top right of the page) with your equipment and description of pool. Thanks!

I suggest you re-look at using a SWG. You said "since the return lines cause high pressure / low flow, and we would constantly be burning elements out." I have no idea what that means, but it does not sound like a SWG problem. Can you explain what the specific issue is that is preventing you from buying a new SWG?

That said, until you get your CYA under control it does not really matter if you use a SWG or not.

Why are you against replacing some of your water? Around here, to fill a whole 15,000 gal pool is only about $50. And, if you tell the city before doing it, they won't count the usage against your sewer rates.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.