CYA level is 140-20,000 gal fiberglass pool-EDIT New results

EDIT My test kit showed up & showed NO CYA??? so I took a sample to a different pool store & they verified the results no CYA Test results posted in new post below

Hi all,

I have been trying to clear my green pool for the last week, pump running 24/7 while I wait for my test kit, which I thought would come today but didn't so I took a sample to the pool store

my CYA was at 140

Thats right ONE FOUR TEE!!!!!

so I know why I have seen very little improvement, I haven't been able to keep the CL level high enough to shock my pool.

The last owner must have gone hog wild with the tri-chlor

To get to a CYA level of 50 I need to drain about 65% of the water, I am worried because the water table is very high in my yard, so I I do not think I can drain all 65% at once.

Where should I go from here? Partial drain-then fill-then test until I get the CYA to 50 then worry about trying to shock my pool?

All ideas appreciated

Re: CYA level is 140-20,000 gal fiberglass pool

One thing to watch out for is that no CYA test is really all that accurate when measuring CYA levels over 100. So your actual CYA level could be somewhat lower, or a lot higher, than that.

You can drain down one foot and then refill and repeat as often as needed. I would do several of those, at least three, before bothering to test the CYA level again.

I just did a partial drain to lower my CH.

I used a small submersible pump to drain and filled at the same time with the garden hose. The drain and the fill were almost exactly equal, so the water level stayed the same. Its not as efficient as drain then fill (you have to drain more total gallons) but it avoids water table issues.

One thing you can do is mix the test water 50/50 with tap water, which will have no CYA in it, and try the test again. Double the result, obviously. You lose some accuracy but the test isn't all that precise to begin with, and you'll have a better idea what the true CYA level is.
--paulr

Bob_Funk said:
...CYA was at 140...
With fiberglass and a high water table you don't have too many choices, but that's the case for vinyl too.

How deep is your pool :?: If it's 5' deep you're going to have to drain 1', fill, drain 1', fill, etc. knowing that you can't just do it 6 times and be done with it as the fill water (non-CYA) will have mixed with the CYA water so you'll be removing both but it's got to be done...
If it's 6' or deeper you could drain a "little" more each time, up to 18" each time but you have to be carefull: The hydraulic pressure that can be put on the fiberglass pool shell by a high water table can be enormous :grrrr: .

As Jason has aptly pointed out, measurements over 100 are likely to be way off so start getting it down immediately. You have to start somewhere so...

Can you post the complete spec's on your pool (size, pump, filter, etc.) as well as the current water readings (even from the pool store)?
The Gals & Guys here are great and may see something else too :goodjob: !

OK so my test kit showed up & I found no CYA & then took a sample to a different pool store to verify & here is what I have

ME Pool store

FC 1.5 FC 0.5
CC 1.5 CC 1.0
TC 3.0 TC 1.5
TA 90 TA 90
CH 80 CH 82 (total hardness test)
CYA 0 CYA 0
PH 7.2 PH 7.6

So I bought 7.75 # CYA & I am adding it to the pool now

I did not start draining the pool, just kept vacuuming to waste

Bob_Funk said:
OK so my test kit showed up & I found no CYA & then took a sample to a different pool store to verify & here is what I have

ME Pool store

FC 1.5 FC 0.5
CC 1.5 CC 1.0
TC 3.0 TC 1.5
TA 90 TA 90
CYA 0 CYA 0
PH 7.2 PH 7.6

Bob, this is a good quote from duraleigh...I'm just passing it on.
The chlorine that the organics are not consuming, the sunlight is.

A. Read all the basic articles in pool school about pool water chemistry. It'll really help you understand what you need to do.

1. I would suggest you get enough CYA to bring the pool up to around 40ppm.

2. You need to shock your pool and it's gonna' take more bleach than you expect. You need to get the pool cleared up, however or your chlorine consumption will be absurd all summer.

3. Once your CYA is up around 40 and your pool has been ashocked, then you'll want to maintain your FC around 3-4ppm all the time to keep it sanitary.

4. Post back with lots of questions.....there's lots of folks here who will help. :lol:
My comments are pretty simple:
a) Add enough CYA in a sock in the skimmer to put your CYA up to 20-30. That's because the earlier 'pool store' reading was soo high and probably incorrect but you don't want to make a situation worse. Remember, it'll take up to a week to dissolve.
b) Bring your FC up to shock level, and that you'll loose FC to sunlight until the CYA is at the correct level.
c) Keep the FC at the shock level until the FC level drops less than 1.0 overnight and/or the CC level stays below 0.5.

What's your full system configuration: pool size, pump brand/size, filter size/type, water features, etc.?

Bob_Funk said:

ME Pool store

FC 1.5 FC 0.5
CC 1.5 CC 1.0
TC 3.0 TC 1.5
TA 90 TA 90
CYA 0 CYA 0
PH 7.2 PH 7.6

Okay, I'd be real concerned here. It is very puzzling how there could be such extreme variance. Are you :

A: certain that you performed the CYA test correctly, following the instructions on mixing, waiting and then mixing again?

and

B: that the Pool Store tested the CYA at all, and that their 0 result is not because they just didn't test for it?

I just don't want to see you overdose on the CYA and be back up to an unwanted level. Proceed with caution, consider only adding half the recommended amount for now....JMHO.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Okay, I'd be real concerned here. It is very puzzling how there could be such extreme variance. Are you :

A: certain that you performed the CYA test correctly, following the instructions on mixing, waiting and then mixing again?

and

B: that the Pool Store tested the CYA at all, and that their 0 result is not because they just didn't test for it?

I just don't want to see you overdose on the CYA and be back up to an unwanted level. Proceed with caution, consider only adding half the recommended amount for now....JMHO.

Thanks FPM,

A: I am certain I tested correctly (I asked 2nd pool store to show me how to do the test)

B: 2nd pool store that verified my results did test because I asked him how to do the test & what to look for, he had the same viewing tube I have that came with the TFtest kit

C: I believe 1st pool store did NOT test for CYA-I asked him specifically what my chlorine stabilizer level was & he said 140 but I never saw him mix the water & look down the tube.
Honestly he was kind of a jerk & I think he wanted to help the cute blonde in line infront of me but the other clerk was finished with the previous client first.

I am adding the CYA at 1/2 the amount in a sock & I will test again in a week to see where I am

0 CYA would make more sense to me than 140, being this pool has sat for at least 1 year probably more & it rains ALOT here.

I am keeping the pool at shock level until the green is gone, it is looking much better, but I still can not see the bottom of the deepest part, pump & filter running 24/7

I do thank everyone for their help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.