Buy a new motor or replace entire pump?

JAC65

May 1, 2016
Washington, MI
Looks like what i have is an older Sta-rite pump with an A.O.smith motor.

The motor keeps overheating and tripping the thermal switch about every 20 min. causing it to shut down, it starts up again after it cools down. I can find replacement motors for $160-$180, but i am considering replacing the entire unit due to its age. The problem is that there are so many choices in so many price ranges i'm not sure what are the important variables to consider when looking for a new pump. The pool was professionally installed and I "assume" the pump was sized properly for the install (in ground 18x36, 27kgal, feet of head???) I see entire pumps that are less that the cost of the new motor and others that are 10x the cost how, do you figure out what to buy?

20130506_000553.jpg20130506_000638.jpg

Short answer:

There are three basic types of pumps: single speed two speed and variable speed.

You want a two speed or variable speed.

Basic pool two speed so you have a low speed for normal filtering and higher speed if you need it.

A two speed can handle most pools. A variable speed can handle more pools and will be the least expensive to operate. But they cost more

So tell us something about your pool so we can be more specific

Here are the specs on he pool:

27k 18x36 inground vinyl liner, Sta-rite P2RA5F-125L pump, Triton II filter w/zeobrite, Intermatic T10404R Control, Polaris 3900 sport w/PB4-60 pump, Jandy Lite 2 LJ250 NG heater

I added this to my signature after the post above.

The equipment was here when I moved in, and I bought as a forclosure so there was no information passed on about any of it. no idea how new or old any of it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.