Another Pool Opening Q

Snap96

Jun 30, 2015
Chicago, IL
We had the pool installed last year and had our pool company open the pool for the first time. Unfortuantely, that may have been a mistake...they did all the testing and adding chemicals.

Besides all the worms and some leaves, the water was pretty darn clear. The worms and leaves have been removed, but still need to vacuum.

Here are my current readings...

PH 8.0
FC 26...Pool company said it was 0 when they tested so they added a few jugs of liquid chlorine.
CC < .5
CYA < 30...when I filled the test kit all the way to the top, the black dot was a little visible...not completely clear so I'm guessing there is some CYA in the pool. It's cloudy out, but I had no choice since the forecast doesn't call for sun for a few days.

Now, I'm at a lost as to what needs to be done next. Not sure if I address the CYA now or monitor the FC and make sure I pass the FC overnight test.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Paul

Hi Paul, and congrats on your FB pool. I like mine very much. So here's what you should be looking to do next ...
1 - Lower pH with muriatic acid to a target of about 7.6; if you end-up having to "SLAM" later, you'll lower it more later
2 - Adjust CYA. You want at least 30 ppm. Since you could see the black dot all the way to the top, it is definitely low, perhaps closer to zero. SO use the Poolmath Calculator (Link below) to add 30 ppm. Once the granules all dissolve, you can re-test CYA in a couple days to see what the new level is.
3 - Make sure you continue to have at least 5 ppm of FC in the water.
4 - You should also check your TA; if it's anywhere between 50-150, just leave ti alone for now; post it next time

Let all of that take place and mix; pump running, add different chemicals about 15 min apart from each other. The next thing to ask is do you have algae? Is that water cloudy or is there ANY green tint or plumes on the floor when you brush? If so, you'll need to SLAM. You can also perform an OCLT to confirm.

So I would adjust those levels first as noted above, then assess the water situation. If you believe a SLAM is required, don't hesitate, just get it going. Sooner the better with cooler temps. Let us know if you have any questions at all.

Thank you everyone....

Was able to get some CYA in the skimmer yesterday.

Unfortunately, could not test last night since the pump on the auto cover could barely keep up with the rain so I had no chance to open the pool.

Paul

From my very limited knowledge, it appears that I'm set....or at least very close.

Water is clear with the following readings:

Reading at 9pm last night:
FC - 27.5
CC - .5

Reading at 9am this morning:
FC - 27.5
CC - .5

I should have known not to do the FC test a few days ago...I'm color blind so when it looks clear to me it still has a slight pink tone to it. Thank goodness my wife is a graphic designer and has eagle eyes when it comes to color. She did the testing last night and this morning PH has not been re-tested since my FC is so high. CYA was practically non-existent a few days ago so 4lbs is currently dissolving in skimmer and will add another 4lbs this weekend.

I plan on testing CH and TA tonight to see where those are at.

Is there anything else I need to test before letting the FC drift down?

Thanks,
Paul

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.