Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another Pool Opening Q

1. Back To Top    #1

Another Pool Opening Q

We had the pool installed last year and had our pool company open the pool for the first time. Unfortuantely, that may have been a mistake...they did all the testing and adding chemicals.

Besides all the worms and some leaves, the water was pretty darn clear. The worms and leaves have been removed, but still need to vacuum.

Here are my current readings...

PH 8.0
    FC 26...Pool company said it was 0 when they tested so they added a few jugs of liquid chlorine.
    CC < .5
    CYA < 30...when I filled the test kit all the way to the top, the black dot was a little visible...not completely clear so I'm guessing there is some CYA in the pool. It's cloudy out, but I had no choice since the forecast doesn't call for sun for a few days.

Now, I'm at a lost as to what needs to be done next. Not sure if I address the CYA now or monitor the FC and make sure I pass the FC overnight test.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Paul
    Barrier Reef Whitsunday 35' IG Fiberglass...17,500 gallons...Hayward H250 Heater...Hayward Max-Flo XL 1.5hp Pump...Hayward 24" Pro Sand Filter...Hayward Aqua Plus SWG...Taylor K-2006 and K-1004 Test Kits...Built Spring 2015...Use village well as fill water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another Pool Opening Q

Hi Paul, and congrats on your FB pool. I like mine very much. So here's what you should be looking to do next ...
    1 - Lower pH with muriatic acid to a target of about 7.6; if you end-up having to "SLAM" later, you'll lower it more later
    2 - Adjust CYA. You want at least 30 ppm. Since you could see the black dot all the way to the top, it is definitely low, perhaps closer to zero. SO use the Poolmath Calculator (Link below) to add 30 ppm. Once the granules all dissolve, you can re-test CYA in a couple days to see what the new level is.
    3 - Make sure you continue to have at least 5 ppm of FC in the water.
    4 - You should also check your TA; if it's anywhere between 50-150, just leave ti alone for now; post it next time

Let all of that take place and mix; pump running, add different chemicals about 15 min apart from each other. The next thing to ask is do you have algae? Is that water cloudy or is there ANY green tint or plumes on the floor when you brush? If so, you'll need to SLAM. You can also perform an OCLT to confirm.

So I would adjust those levels first as noted above, then assess the water situation. If you believe a SLAM is required, don't hesitate, just get it going. Sooner the better with cooler temps. Let us know if you have any questions at all.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi snap, like +1 on what Pat told you. One thing to keep in mind, if your FC is truly 26, then your PH test will not be accurate above, geez I forgot Pat, FC10 I think. I need to go reread again. Anyway just follow Pat's directions
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't worry about that FC of 26. With little CYA in the water you'll be losing plenty in just a few days.

When the FC is less than 10 you can re-test the pH with more confidence in its accuracy.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Lefty you are correct.........Ph test is not valid with FC at or over 10.

We will get you all set up now. No worries.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you everyone....

Was able to get some CYA in the skimmer yesterday.

Unfortunately, could not test last night since the pump on the auto cover could barely keep up with the rain so I had no chance to open the pool.

Paul
    Barrier Reef Whitsunday 35' IG Fiberglass...17,500 gallons...Hayward H250 Heater...Hayward Max-Flo XL 1.5hp Pump...Hayward 24" Pro Sand Filter...Hayward Aqua Plus SWG...Taylor K-2006 and K-1004 Test Kits...Built Spring 2015...Use village well as fill water

7. Back To Top    #7

From my very limited knowledge, it appears that I'm set....or at least very close.

Water is clear with the following readings:

Reading at 9pm last night:
    FC - 27.5
    CC - .5

Reading at 9am this morning:
    FC - 27.5
    CC - .5

I should have known not to do the FC test a few days ago...I'm color blind so when it looks clear to me it still has a slight pink tone to it. Thank goodness my wife is a graphic designer and has eagle eyes when it comes to color. She did the testing last night and this morning PH has not been re-tested since my FC is so high. CYA was practically non-existent a few days ago so 4lbs is currently dissolving in skimmer and will add another 4lbs this weekend.

I plan on testing CH and TA tonight to see where those are at.

Is there anything else I need to test before letting the FC drift down?

Thanks,
    Paul

8. Back To Top    #8

Do a pH test when the FC is less than 10.

Otherwise unless you exchange water your CH or CYA wont go down.

Move slowly on raising your CYA so that you don't overshoot your goal number.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain