Diving board base - Removing/Preventing Rust

Oct 14, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
I have a diving board base that has started to rust significantly. I'm not ready to replace the whole board and base yet. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for removing the rust and painting the base so it looks nice again. I was reading this older post from 2010: How to prevent/remove rust on diving board base and saw references to white Herculiner. The only Herculiner I've found is black.

Anyone have thought on how to fix this in 2016?

Thanks very much!

26657325932_d506e28f00_n.jpg

26725489276_ae205cdfc8_n.jpg

I had mine blasted and re powdercoated after 1 year, its now been 4 and it is still good except a couple very small specks, cost approx $250.00. The stainless would be the best although hot dip galv would also be good. As was stated in the link all stainless should be passivated to remove any tiny amount of iron that may be there, they can also be electro polished which achieves the same thing.

Attachments

• 26695347781_9db2a0ed2f.jpg
    26695347781_9db2a0ed2f.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 49
Google "electrolytic rust removal". You use a battery charger or DC power source to convert the rust to a soft material that comes off easily. I did mine a couple of years ago. Repainted it with marine paint and primer.

Here is a picture of my stand in the solution:

and here is a picture of the steel I used as an electrode in the process:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.