Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need help picking solar panels

1. Back To Top    #1

need help picking solar panels

Can you please give me suggestions on which DIY solar panels work best?

I have a 27 foot round AGP. sand filter with a 1.5 hp pump. I would like to put the panels on my roof is is really 1.5 stories up. any issues with the pump? I live in Lancaster PA and would like to see my pool get to @ 88 degrees or so. I have a huge tree that blocks most of the sun to the pool, so this is 1 reason why I need a heater.

Any help is appreciated.

25k gal vinyl AquaRite T-15 Raypak RP2100 Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: need help picking solar panels

It really depends on the model of the pump.

How big is the roof area you have available?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

I got the sunheater model off of ebay. happy so far but I really don't know if more expensive ones would make a difference.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

All of the large black solar panels are just about the same. There are some very minor differences, but they will all work well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Rural NE Texas

I have solar bear from ... -bear.htm#. I have been dealing with amerimerc since we got the pool in August- fast shipping, good customer service, actual human people on the telephone. That counts for a lot. However, I notice their price has gone up since this winter.
    Another good price I found: ... ~3664.html Have not dealt with them yet, but their price is more in line with what I spent. Also
    If I add another panel, I will try one of these since amerimerc has gone up. My 20,000 gal pool is gaining 5 degrees a day, on partly to mostly sunny days. Can't wait until we have a truly sunny day. Anyways, you don't just need the panels. I made the mistake of figuring that would be the "big" item. There is the mounting kit, repair kit, and plumbing (including a 3-way valve or bypass setup), and if you use an electronic controller, the wiring, sensors, and valve actuator.
    Also, if you are not going to have your panels directly adjacent to each other (as in inches apart) and running all parallel in the same direction, save yourself some money and do not get the "Add-on" kit. That is for a series of panels run together right next to each other. It is just a large diameter piece of rubber radiator hose and 2 large hose clamps.
    To see our ongoing saga, this post may give you some ideas: adding-solar-bear-panels-to-our-agp-the-process-with-pics-t11410.html
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

6. Back To Top    #6