You'll remember this photo from my equipment post:
Nothing pretty here.
I turned on the pump without the filter and let it circulate for a few hours. Initial numbers had the pH above 8.6 and TA around 80. I put in around 100oz of acid and got the pH down to 7.5. That didn't fit it. :P
4/30/2016 2:00 PM
I added 4 gal 10% bleach and waited 15 min
4/30/2016 2:15 PM
More waiting and some backwashing
4/30/2016 3:45 PM
More waiting, more backwashing. Something is definitely happening in there. Many tadpoles lost their lives this day.
4/30/2016 6:00 PM
At this point, I need to add some water (from a well) to compensate for all the backwashing. I also don't want to stay up all night with this baby, so I decided to up the chlorine a bit, set the filter speed to medium and call it night. It's raining, if that matters.
4/30/2016 9:45 PM Added 1.5 gal 10% bleach.