Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taming the green beast

1. Back To Top    #1

Taming the green beast

You'll remember this photo from my equipment post:

Nothing pretty here.
    I turned on the pump without the filter and let it circulate for a few hours. Initial numbers had the pH above 8.6 and TA around 80. I put in around 100oz of acid and got the pH down to 7.5. That didn't fit it. :P

4/30/2016 2:00 PM
    FC 0
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    TA 100
    CYA 0

I added 4 gal 10% bleach and waited 15 min
    4/30/2016 2:15 PM
    FC 18
    CC 1

More waiting and some backwashing
    4/30/2016 3:45 PM
    FC 12.5
    CC 1

More waiting, more backwashing. Something is definitely happening in there. Many tadpoles lost their lives this day.
    4/30/2016 6:00 PM
    FC 11
    CC 1
    TA 80

At this point, I need to add some water (from a well) to compensate for all the backwashing. I also don't want to stay up all night with this baby, so I decided to up the chlorine a bit, set the filter speed to medium and call it night. It's raining, if that matters.
    4/30/2016 9:45 PM Added 1.5 gal 10% bleach.
    22,000 gal L-Shaped Inground, vinyl lined, with diving board.
    IntelliFlo VS Pump, Triton TR100 Sand Filter, Intellichlor 40 SWG
    TF100 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Taming the green beast

Welcome and good morning. I hope you had a good evening. One thing you might want to look at is scooping out as much solid stuff if you haven't already done that.

Also what is your CYA number. I see you have it listed as 0. You need to have around 30 so the chlorine isn't eaten by the sun.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Keep them pictures coming! We love 'em! If you run out of space, open an account somewhere so you can link. Posting Photo's Tutorial

This thread would be a good addition to Recovering my old inspirational links

Vacuuming blind to remove any hidden debris will speed things up. It will speed up the filter clogging, too, but it has to come out sometime, and vacuuming helps mix the water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

You're on the right track, and it will just take some patience an Chlorine. I'd add enough Cya to get you to 30 PPM and just keep pouring the Bleach to it. Have you scooped the bottom for leaves and other debris that might be there?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

I haven't added any CYA yet, it is overcast and miserable, so I don't think the sun is much threat, but I will get it up to 30 today.
    I have been scooping and sweeping throughout. My back is killing me today. 600# of pebbles and sand might have contributed. But things are definitely looking better. I'll try to figure out the vacuum today too, I can tell there are 'deposits' on the bottom that disintegrate when the net touches them, maybe the vac will get it out.
    Here are the numbers from this morning.

Should I be dealing with this pH? Or just let it ride until the SLAM is over?

5/1/2016 8:20 AM
    FC 13
    CC 0.5
    pH 8.2
    TA 130

TF100 Test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

pH is reading high because your FC is above 10. If you set the pH before you started your SLAM, you are fine. Just continue the SLAM until you are done. pH reading will be accurate again one the FC drops below 10.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

that pool is already looking better keep going, you're doing great
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

8. Back To Top    #8

I didn't take another pic this morning because I thought it looked about the same, but in reviewing the pics here....It actually looks better than that now, so...sorry!

But here's the numbers from this morning:
    FC 10
    CC 1.5

I put in another gallon and a half to get it through the day (some people gotta work) and then gave it a quick brush down.

Oh, and I wasn't able to deliver on the CYA yet. That stuff is REALLY stubborn to dissolve!
    TF100 Test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep, that is why we recommend putting the CYA in a sock and hanging it in front of a return. More here on adding chemicals, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

This is gonna be awesome to watch but gotta ask...what in the world happened to that pretty fence?
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

11. Back To Top    #11

A huge branch broke off the tree that used to be behind it in a storm. I took the rest of tree down. Now I need to order 1 new section of fence and a new mesh pool cover.

Funny story actually - my mom came over to watch the kids so the wife and I could go out to dinner. She said "hey, you better take care of that dead tree before it falls on your pool" I said, yeah, but it's cold, I'll get it in the spring. Later that night she sent me a pic via text.

TF100 Test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by PoolBoyDave View Post
    A huge branch broke off the tree that used to be behind it in a storm. I took the rest of tree down. Now I need to order 1 new section of fence and a new mesh pool cover.

Funny story actually - my mom came over to watch the kids so the wife and I could go out to dinner. She said "hey, you better take care of that dead tree before it falls on your pool" I said, yeah, but it's cold, I'll get it in the spring. Later that night she sent me a pic via text.

OUCH! Tell Mom not to mak anymore suggestions....
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

13. Back To Top    #13

Mom knows best! LOL Love you Mom!

The color IS changing......you keep this up and you will start to see the blue coming out!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

I was going to ask if the beast from "Forbidden Planet" paid your pool a visit recently.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

15. Back To Top    #15

FC 13.5
    CC 1.5
    Added some more bleach to make it through the day and gave it a quick vac before work.

And a pic from this morning

TF100 Test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Nice work! Can't wait to see more.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

17. Back To Top    #17

I stopped and got some liquid CYA on the way home yesterday, the powder is taking too long. There must be gold in that bottle from the $$$! I measured the FC @ 5 when I got home from work, so that isn't good, but we did have a fairly sunny day. (FC was 14 in the morning, and I added 1 gal 10%).

Last night:
    FC 15.5
    CC 1.5
    TA 140
    CYA 25

This morning:
    FC 14.5
    CC 1.5
    TA 240 (somethin ain't right, probably bad testing)

So I think that means I am nearing the end of the SLAM. I added another 1.5g of 10% this morning because I don't have a handle on the daily loss yet. Still a bit concerned that the CC isn't dropping. The water is still cloudy, but the visible particles are way down.
    TF100 Test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes, liquid CYA is expensive, the granular is quite a bit cheaper. Be sure to wipe the tip of the TA reagent on a wet towel to release static and hold the bottle fully vertical.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

19. Back To Top    #19

holy mangled fence! but that is going to be a beautiful pool!
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

20. Back To Top    #20

This morning's numbers:
    FC 9.5
    CC 1.5
    TA 130
    CYA 30
    CH 150

Seems to be using more Cl that it has been yesterday and last night. Rain related? I put in 2.5g of 10%, which should bring the FC up to 20. Hopefully that is enough to make it through the day. I also took a CH expecting to find it high on the account of well water top-offs, but it doesn't look bad. I can see about 18 inches into the water now, starting to get excited!

Also - that CYA test is super subjective. I can change the ambient light and get any result I want...

TF100 Test kit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast