Streaky Quartzscapes is this normal? Resurface update.

Okay, so our PB put in the quartzscapes finish yesterday (Tahoe Blue with abalone added). Today he is coming back to do the acid wash to expose the quartz. After that the pool will be filled and given a "hot start" or acid bath. The thing is, so far it is very streaky/lots of dark lines. Is this normal? Please see pic. It's probably even worse IRL.

https://flic.kr/p/GBtTrW

Mods: I already have a thread going about this project; if you combine the threads can you change the title to this post's title? Thanks.

That is normal the acid wash will give you a uniform color you will be amazed at the change. If there is a problem (not saying there is as I said what you have now is normal) it won't appear until a couple of days after the fill.

Update: well at first the marks on the walls seemed to have gotten better but that might have just been because they were wet. As the sides have started to dry, you can see them again, as well as some hairline cracks which The PB says are normal? The pool is filling now. Under water you can't see the cracks much if at all. Here's a pic of the steps where you can see a pretty good one. (The steps are not underwater yet). You can also see my pretty abalone flecks ?.

https://flic.kr/p/Gm6Y67

Similar cracks are also visible on the sides. I couldn't see them at all before they wet the plaster though. Now that they're damp (drying) they show up more but I am hoping they will be invisible again once it fills.

https://flic.kr/p/FQENmW

One more question: the PB did an acid wash so he says we don't need a hot start, just a regular start. Is that normal?

For PB's that do what they call "hot start" ( dropping TA to near 0 and low Ph) it is normal to forgo the process if they do an acid wash. If however you start to get mottling than they may still do the "hot start" or "no drain acid wash". It seems they have several terms for the same thing.

A little crazing aka cracking is normal usually around the inner and outer bends of the steps all of ours were extremely small as the water line rose they wicked up the water first an inch or two before becoming submerged then were not visible. I think the one in the photo is a bit of a concern, however I wold like someone with more experience to chime in before you worry about it.

For PB's that do what they call "hot start" ( dropping TA to near 0 and low Ph) it is normal to forgo the process if they do an acid wash. If however you start to get mottling than they may still do the "hot start" or "no drain acid wash". It seems they have several terms for the same thing.

A little crazing aka cracking is normal usually around the inner and outer bends of the steps all of ours were extremely small as the water line rose they wicked up the water first an inch or two before becoming submerged then were not visible. I think the one in the photo is a bit of a concern, however I wold like someone with more experience to chime in before you worry about it.

Thanks for the response. The crack pictured on the top step is the worst one. It was VERY windy the day they applied the plaster so maybe it's worse than usual? We did point it out to the PB and he said it's not a concern. Our cracks seem to be mainly on the walls with small ones on the steps (and the one big one on the top step). As they become covered in water they are far less visible but you can see them if you know where to look.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.