Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Streaky Quartzscapes is this normal? Resurface update.

1. Back To Top    #1

Streaky Quartzscapes is this normal? Resurface update.

Okay, so our PB put in the quartzscapes finish yesterday (Tahoe Blue with abalone added). Today he is coming back to do the acid wash to expose the quartz. After that the pool will be filled and given a "hot start" or acid bath. The thing is, so far it is very streaky/lots of dark lines. Is this normal? Please see pic. It's probably even worse IRL.

https://flic.kr/p/GBtTrW

Mods: I already have a thread going about this project; if you combine the threads can you change the title to this post's title? Thanks.
    15k gal freeform sport pool with rock waterfall. Replastered 5/2016 with Tahoe Blue Quartzscapes
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Streaky Quartzscapes is this normal? Resurface update.

That is normal the acid wash will give you a uniform color you will be amazed at the change. If there is a problem (not saying there is as I said what you have now is normal) it won't appear until a couple of days after the fill.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

We are considering this plaster too, so would love to see photos post acid bath.
    My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. Well they started the acid wash and it already looks better.
    15k gal freeform sport pool with rock waterfall. Replastered 5/2016 with Tahoe Blue Quartzscapes
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

5. Back To Top    #5

Update: well at first the marks on the walls seemed to have gotten better but that might have just been because they were wet. As the sides have started to dry, you can see them again, as well as some hairline cracks which The PB says are normal? The pool is filling now. Under water you can't see the cracks much if at all. Here's a pic of the steps where you can see a pretty good one. (The steps are not underwater yet). You can also see my pretty abalone flecks 😊.

https://flic.kr/p/Gm6Y67

Similar cracks are also visible on the sides. I couldn't see them at all before they wet the plaster though. Now that they're damp (drying) they show up more but I am hoping they will be invisible again once it fills.

https://flic.kr/p/FQENmW

One more question: the PB did an acid wash so he says we don't need a hot start, just a regular start. Is that normal?
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

For PB's that do what they call "hot start" ( dropping TA to near 0 and low Ph) it is normal to forgo the process if they do an acid wash. If however you start to get mottling than they may still do the "hot start" or "no drain acid wash". It seems they have several terms for the same thing.

A little crazing aka cracking is normal usually around the inner and outer bends of the steps all of ours were extremely small as the water line rose they wicked up the water first an inch or two before becoming submerged then were not visible. I think the one in the photo is a bit of a concern, however I wold like someone with more experience to chime in before you worry about it.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    For PB's that do what they call "hot start" ( dropping TA to near 0 and low Ph) it is normal to forgo the process if they do an acid wash. If however you start to get mottling than they may still do the "hot start" or "no drain acid wash". It seems they have several terms for the same thing.

A little crazing aka cracking is normal usually around the inner and outer bends of the steps all of ours were extremely small as the water line rose they wicked up the water first an inch or two before becoming submerged then were not visible. I think the one in the photo is a bit of a concern, however I wold like someone with more experience to chime in before you worry about it.
    Thanks for the response. The crack pictured on the top step is the worst one. It was VERY windy the day they applied the plaster so maybe it's worse than usual? We did point it out to the PB and he said it's not a concern. Our cracks seem to be mainly on the walls with small ones on the steps (and the one big one on the top step). As they become covered in water they are far less visible but you can see them if you know where to look.
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

8. Back To Top    #8

Pretty step markers! What tile is that?
    Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmommy2009 View Post
    Pretty step markers! What tile is that?
    It's called Crystal Iridescent 1x2. Glad you like it!

Now I am worried about the crack in the step. I am fine with the way it looks, just worried about structural integrity of the finish.
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

10. Back To Top    #10

Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferJuniper2 View Post
    Woah!! What a difference!! How long in between those two pictures?
    Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmommy2009 View Post
    Woah!! What a difference!! How long in between those two pictures?
    The "before" pic is probably about a year old. But it looked the same up until a couple weeks ago lol. We called our pool "The Pond Experience".
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

13. Back To Top    #13

WOW! Oh I bet you are thrilled with the difference! Did the streaks go away after the acid bath?
    My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.