Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I do now?

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry What do I do now?

Glad I found TFP. Although the 2 pool stores tried to help me, it didn't work. Ordered my Taylor test kit, be here in a few days. Gonna tackle this myself and with the help of you fine folks! First time in my 20 years I lost my pool. It's always been pucks in a floater and the occasional 3 lb powder shock after a monsoon storm. Never has went green on me before, so I've been lucky! I'm waiting for the test kit before I waste any more $$ on chemicals. After 3 bottles of algeaside, 12 gal. of liquid chlorine, (not all at once) brushing and running pump, it's gone(with the wind). I know I have to do the SLAM, question is, what to do now without any more $$ spent...can't get any worse, CAN IT?? 20,000 gals/in ground 1 hp heyward 240 sand filter
    Homedoggies pool. 16,500 gal IG diver. White plaster w/1hp Hayward Super Pump/Hayward S244T2 sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What do I do now?

Welcome to TFP, we can get you going until you get your test kit you can put 1 gallon of bleach/liquid chlorine in your pool a day in front of a return. That will slow it down on turning more green

What test kit did you get? is there an ETA when you will receive it...

Check out the links in my signature and do some light reading
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

While you're awaiting your test kit, I would suggest you update your signature line with the details of your pool.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome! We've all been there.

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

While you are waiting for your test kit over the next few days, I would do the following:
    1. Stock up on lots of plain, unscented liquid bleach / liquid chlorine. Since you will be doing a SLAM, I would define "lots", as an amount that would fill at least half of an 8' bed of a full-size pickup. If you do the SLAM the way we recommend, you will go through prodigious amounts of bleach in the early stages of the SLAM.
    2. Clean out any debris that may be in the pool
    3. Read the this article: Defeating Algae
    4. Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different.

Wouldn't bother using any more algaecide - it is totally ineffective in a pool that already has an algae outbreak.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome, Homer

Things actually can get worse, so don't tempt Fate by asking. The water isn't black and thick enough to walk on yet, is it?

I concur with Casey. Add some bleach just to arrest things, but don't expect any improvement. Given where you live and what you've been feeding your pool, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you discover astronomical CYA and CH values, which indicate a drain and refill is in order. But without test results, it's too early to start pumping. While you await the test kit, you can brush and vacuum to remove any blown-in debris, and perhaps try cleaning the filter. At least break up any clumps in the sand, because once you start clearing the swamp, that filter is going to be working hard.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

TF 100 test kit. ETA May 8. Will try to slow it down a bit. Thanks
    Homedoggies pool. 16,500 gal IG diver. White plaster w/1hp Hayward Super Pump/Hayward S244T2 sand filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

I hope drain and refill is not in order. I've always been told that's not recommended in the AZ heat, which is just around the corner. Myth? I don't know. I've always done it in the cooler winter months with no issues. Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

not a myth but you can use a sprinkler to keep it wet and cool, some have started in the late afternoon emptying and started filling at night.. this works better with a huge rental pump from lowes or HD..

But no need to worry about it now, when you get your TF100 (great choice by the way ) post up your numbers and we can go from there..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

10. Back To Top    #10

Puck o.d.

Just became a member and spent a lot of time last couple of days navigating through this site. Best knowledge on the internet! Thanks to all of you! Waiting on my tf 100 test kit so I can get started on this "mess" I created in my backyard. I say that because I may have O.D. my pool with the pucks. Before a 2 week vacation last fall, I filled 2 floaters(5 pucks each) and kept them filled. And now I have a green pool, with the 8 gals of chlorine I added the past couple of weeks being worthless. Being a gambling man, I would wager to say I "over pucked the pool". Won't know for sure till my kit gets here, but CYA is probably through the roof! Again, "knowledge is power" and you guys/gals on this site have it. Thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Puck o.d.

No worries. Many of us were in those same shoes before TFP cracked the code for us as well. If your CYA is high, the test kit will tell you. Then we can help you make a plan to reduce it. Hang in there and keep us posted. Glad you are finding the site helpful.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

12. Back To Top    #12

Homer! SO glad to see you here! I would LOVE to see your pool! Pretty please?? We LOVE to watch green to clean!

They ^^^^^^^^^^ have you covered on what to do until your test kit gets there.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes!!! Test kit be here tomorrow!

10 gal Clorox waiting and ready for the green monster! That's just what I'll pour after my first beer....another 10 gal on the stand by, in case I need to drink another beer! Oh, and Wal Mart cashier got irritated after unfolding all those .50 per jug coupons on that bleach! Numbers coming tomorrow...can't wait for ya'lls advice on this mess I got. GREEN TO CLEAN baby! GREEN TO CLEAN!!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: Yes!!! Test kit be here tomorrow!

Locked & Loaded!
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

15. Back To Top    #15

16. Back To Top    #16

The Walmart cashier got irritated? Why? What were you wearing? Will you be the featured creature on peopleofwalmart one of these days?

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

Ha! She's was mad because she scanned 20 jugs individually, and tore off coupon on each jug one at a time...I prolly would've scanned 1 jugx20, 1 couponx20 and be happy...thinking this dude's gonna make his pool SHINE!

18. Back To Top    #18

Now what?

Just got my test kit. CYA well over 100. PH is low 6.8 range. That's as far as I went, knowing I've got to raise the PH. Last thing I want to do is the dreaded drain and refill. What now? Thanks all...

19. Back To Top    #19

Lower CYA. That's a must. A partial drain(s) are the only solution. Sorry. As soon as you get the CYA back to earth, say 50-70 or so, then bring that pH up right away. Then you can balance FC and TA after that.

20. Back To Top    #20

I merged all your threads since they are all related. Keep your related questions and discussions together as it is easier to help you. Thanks, jblizzle

With the high CYA, water replacement is the first step ... why adjust the pH if you are going to dump water?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast