pump, filter, etc sizing

wmmallette

Silver Supporter
Mar 8, 2016
New Albany, Mississippi
I am about to build a T shaped pool. I will attach a PDF file which shows the specs of my pool.

I am am able to buy my pool equipment at my dealer's wholesale cost and his primary supplier is Pentair, so I would prefer to use Pentair equipment unless there is a valid reason not to.

I will need:
1. Adequately sized pump
2. Adequately sized sand filter
3. SWG because i want to produce my chlorine that way

** I am super happy to take advice on any other equipment that may be recommended in terms of automation for chemicals or, really anything else.

* I live in Mississippi and will not use a heater, nor will I have a spa or and moving water feature.

-Mickey
View attachment Final Pool Specs.pdf

Pool volume is used to size the filter and SWG. What is it? I can not read the drawing.

Any special high flow rate needs?

Note the Pentair SWG is limited to 10% output increments when not used with their automation systems.

Actually, the Intellichlor is limited to 20% increments, 20, 40 60, 80, 100. I use a VS pump with a built in timer and my SWG is on its own timer so, I can fine tune the chlorine level by adjusting the percentage and the time that the swg runs. I always run my pump more than my swg, either for solar heating or leaf skimming.

With no water features or spa I would recommend the Superflo 1-1/2hp VS pump, 342001.

The volume isn't on my sheet. The shallow end is 16'x32' @ 40 inches deep.
The deep end is 18' x 27' (to the top of the slope) with 8' being the deepest point. I don't how to calculate the volume from that info because I don't know how to figure average depth over the entire pool.

-Mickey

here is the PDF of the pool that you should be able to click and see larger:

View attachment Final Pool Specs.pdf

I would go with 6' avg for the deep end for estimating now. The whole shallow end is 40"? That is very shallow. We start at 42" and go to 5' deep and the 3-1/2' is too shallow. If we had to do over again we would build 4x5x4. Hold a tape measure up to everyone and see where 40" lands on everyone.

pooldv,

the walls are 42" standard shallow end walls. perhaps I got some of the measurements wrong. Using a few pool calculators, the pool is just under 35,000 gallons.

So based on a 35,000 gallon pool volume, does anyone have any wisdom they can share on pentair pump, filter, SWG or other equipment. I live in North Mississippi, and our climate is pretty moderate as far as winters go.

-mickey

i don't live in a area where water conservation is an issue and I am not subject to local codes, so I probably would choose a sand filter.

*fyi, my supplier said I can get the walls at 42" or at 48". I have seen some posts of people who said they wish they would have gone with a deeper shallow end. it will change the volume of my pool about 3000 gallons. If I use the 42" walls I come up with 31,500 gallons and if I use 48" wals I come up with 34,300 gallons. What is normal for how far below the top if the wall the water level would be? That is, how deep would the water be using a 42" inch wall and a 48" wall. I assumed 6 inches less than the wall height.

-Mickey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The PDF plan does have surface area listed at 1000 sq ft. (actually 995 but I don't think it's worth splitting hairs over). The shallowest the pool section shows is 3' which covers about half the pool, and the deep end is 8'. I'd just go with an average depth of 5' x 1000' of surface is 5000 cubic foot, or 37000 gallons. However, if you were to just assume 6' average depth, you'd end up at around 44k gallons so I'd personally recommend erring to between 35k and 40k gallons. Either that or import the drawing into Sketchup and find out for sure ;)
arri

Water is usually around 3" lower than the wall height.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a big pool, so you need to go with a big sand filter. I would say a minimum of about 32" diameter.

And with a sand filter that big, maybe a little larger 2-speed pump would be advised.

I would not hesitate to recommend the same sand filter I have, the Triton TR-100 600 lb. It works fine on my 44,000 gallon pool. Very happy with it. And so far I'm in love with my new SWG, CircuPool RJ-60 Plus.

Here is the SWG, the filter is common so I won't post a link to it.
CircuPool® RJ-60 Salt Pool System
You just missed a great sale on that SWG, I got it for $1099. You might ask them to sell it at that price, you might just get it.

I chose this SWG because it had a greater chlorine output than anything else I looked at, a 7 year warranty, and great reviews.

I would not hesitate to recommend the same sand filter I have, the Triton TR-100 600 lb. It works fine on my 44,000 gallon pool. Very happy with it. And so far I'm in love with my new SWG, CircuPool RJ-60 Plus.

Here is the SWG, the filter is common so I won't post a link to it.
CircuPool® RJ-60 Salt Pool System
You just missed a great sale on that SWG, I got it for $1099. You might ask them to sell it at that price, you might just get it.

I chose this SWG because it had a greater chlorine output than anything else I looked at, a 7 year warranty, and great reviews.

when did the sale end?
does anyone else have any experience with CircuPool SWG?

when did the sale end?
does anyone else have any experience with CircuPool SWG?

The sale is that you pay for this SWG (CircuPool® RJ-45 Salt Pool System) for $1099, and you get the RJ-60. I have the Si-40, which I guess they now call the Universal40. I would not get any of the SJ series. I have had good results with my Si-40, but I have only had it a couple of years.

If you want to go with Pentair, the IC60 is the cell you want.

The sale is that you pay for this SWG (CircuPool® RJ-45 Salt Pool System) for $1099, and you get the RJ-60.

I paid $1099 for the RJ-60 and got the RJ-60 Plus. Here's what my receipt says:

RJ60N UPGRADE TO: CircuPool RJ-60 PLUS Salt System with 7-Year Warranty
In Stock
$1,099.00

The sale price for the RJ-45 should have been less than $1099. If I were you, I'd call and beg for the sale price, maybe tell them you'll do it right there on the phone if they will do it.

Yeah, don't confuse them with CompuPool. Mine lasted 4 years, but not without issues. And it should have lasted more than 4.

- - - Updated - - -

So I looked. If you put the RJ-45 in the cart, it comes back with this:

UPGRADE TO: CircuPool RJ-60 Salt System with 5-Year Warranty
In Stock
$1,039.00

If you put the RJ-30 or RJ-30 Plus in the cart, it comes back with the RJ-45 or RJ-45 plus, respectively at $839 or $899.

According to Sketchup:

With 42" walls
View attachment 47784
Just under 32,500 gallons

With 48" walls
View attachment 47785
A little over 36,000 gallons.

Thank you for this. Would these calculations presume a water height up to the top of the wall, or does it factor in that the water level will be 3" to 6" below the top of the wall in each case?

-Mickey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.