Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Did the previous pool guy install the salt cell BACKWARDS (pic included)?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Did the previous pool guy install the salt cell BACKWARDS (pic included)?!

We just bought our house about a month ago and the current setup has a Resilience A5 salt cell. While messing with the control box I noticed the chlorine output percentage wouldn't go pass 10%. Called American SPS (makers of cell) and they instructed me to open it up and inspect the blades to see if any (most likely middle blade) were shorter or thinner than the others. So I pulled it off and sure enough, the middle blade and one of the outside blades were shorter than the other three and the middle blade had a lot of greenish/white buildup on it. Afterwards I went ahead and ordered a factory replacement exactly like the original one. When I got it in and opened it up, I noticed on the cell that it had an arrow with the words "flow direction" pointing AWAY from the large blue end. I had to go back and look several times to make sure I wasn't wrong, but the current setup appears to have the salt cell on BACKWARDS! The red arrow is the flow of my return water going through the cell and currently it's going TOWARDS the large blue end (opposite of what the "flow direction" indicates). Am I missing something here? First pic shows my salt cell in the current setup, second pic shows the new salt cell I ordered with the flow direction arrow.
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Did the previous pool guy install the salt cell BACKWARDS (pic included)?!

They work in either direction.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

On the inside, the large blue side has some platic on the sides of the blades where the water comes through....it looks like the plastic would be there to protect the blades. The other side doesn't have this, that's why I was thinking it should be installed the way the arrows are pointing.
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

The process of converting salt to chlorine should work in either direction.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGuy View Post
    On the inside, the large blue side has some platic on the sides of the blades where the water comes through....it looks like the plastic would be there to protect the blades. The other side doesn't have this, that's why I was thinking it should be installed the way the arrows are pointing.
    As a general rule, if someone goes to the effort to put directional arrows on something, there's a reason. But being installed backwards wouldn't account for your low output. That's filtered water passing the blades, so there shouldn't be any debris striking the elements. Maybe some stray bits of sand after backwashing. I'd just install the new unit the right way and keep my fingers crossed that it starts working right.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

This was what the blades looked like when I opened it up and inspected them. Now keep in mind this side is suppose to be the OUTGOING side (no plastic protecting the blades), but this was turned around and was the INCOMING side on my current setup.
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

Now this is the new one with the plastic piece I was talking about. This is suppose to be the INCOMING side. Seems to me like they put the plastic piece there to protect the sides of the blades where the turbulent water comes in at and hits them.
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

8. Back To Top    #8

If the cell indicates a flow direction, then the cell should be installed accordingly. Did the old cell have a flow arrow?

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, I looked and it does. It's exactly like the new one, everything looks the same on it. I understand they can work either way, but like Richard said, if they went through the trouble of indicating a flow direction then to me it should be installed that way.
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG