I have a 3-year old Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Flow Pump, VF-3050. I'm doing a SLAM and noticed today that it is stopping about every 30 minutes for about 20-30 seconds, then restarting.
This is about a 15,000 gallon in-ground pool with 60 sq ft DE filter
Here is what I have learned so far in my investigation:
- I have a Pentair Intellitouch i9+3 automation system. The automation system believes the motor is still running during these periods. I can see on the outside panel that the pump/filter is still lit, plus on my Screenlogic2 interface it shows the pump is running.
- I switched to manual operation on the pump motor (time out on the automation system), and the same random restarts are happening, actually even worse -- I noticed the motor was shutting down during the prime, so I switched back to automation.
- Since I am doing a SLAM, I was running in egg-timer mode, set to never stop. In my troubleshooting, I switched to a daily 24 hour program, but still get the random restarts. There are no other pump-related programs listed at this time.
- The pump motor feels cool to the touch and cool air is blowing out of it.
- The basket is clean
- I reached into the pump and could manually rotate the impeller.
- I tried turning off Intellichlor, but still get the random restarts. There is not excessive air in the pump pot/basket container.
- The pump does not lose prime during the restarts
- There is no large item covering the drains, i.e., that would activate the safety features
- I noticed the restarts at 25 gpm, 30 gpm, 40 gpm. Didn't test other rates.
- The DE filter needs to be cleaned, but it is not that dirty. It is about halfway to the point where I typically do a tear down/clean.
- I have a Polaris booster pump, but it is not running, nor is there a program at this time.
Any ideas from the experts here, please?
Am I doing any more damage to the pump motor running it in this mode?