Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing agp liner yourself

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing agp liner yourself

We have a leak in our pool. Losing 1-2 inches per day but have been unable to find the leak. We tried using the leak dye but not luck. Just put some "fix a leak" in it today and am hoping it fixes the leak(s) but if not may have to go with a new liner. Local pool stool said it cost around 2k for a new liner and installation and they couldn't do it until the end of June. I have found several liners online for $200 or less, so I can't see paying the pool store 1800$ more to install it. So some questions

1) any tips on how to find the leak before we replace the liner? It's only 4-5 years old
    2) If liner does need replaced is it feasible to do it ourselves? any tips on what to buy and any advice or instructions on install.
    13500 gallon AG (24' round), 100 sf cartridge filter, Hayward 1hp pump, pool 10-15 years old with recently replaced liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing agp liner yourself

First go to pool school and read the section on leaks. Pool School - Leak Detection

Next how about letting the pool drain down until it stops leaking. Then you will know about where the leak is. If it all leaks out its at the bottom.

Have you triple checked the plumbing?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I've read the leak detection article. It's definately not the plumbing. I let it drain past the plumbing and it kept leaking.
    13500 gallon AG (24' round), 100 sf cartridge filter, Hayward 1hp pump, pool 10-15 years old with recently replaced liner

4. Back To Top    #4

We called around until we found a company that did it using some thingy LOL They put it in the pool and pulled it around the bottom. They had some kind of display that spiked when the thing in the water found the itty,bitty teensy, tiny pinprick hole. I got in with my mask on and patched it.

Good luck....I wish I knew what it was they used. It was a while ago and I have forgotten what they said...I THINK it used a magnet but am not sure.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit