What is this pipe for?

And why is water gushing out of it when I turn on my pump?
attachment.php
Which pipe is leaking?

If it's the short 90 degree thing, that's the waste port. It means that round valve on the side of the filter (half cut off in the pic) is set to waste or backwash. If it's set to anything else, then the spider gasket or internal plate inside the valve is bad.

If it's one of the other pipes, you have a leak that needs fixing.

And Welcome :wave:

A wide angle shot showing everything would help, but My guess is that that is the suction pipe from that skimmer to the equipment pad. Again, a guess, but I would think there used to be a "T" where that coupling is on the horizontal pipe and that open line connected there.

Again, this is just a guess looking at the limited info available.

If the equipment pad is below the water level of the pool gravity will push the water through that pipe when you pull the plug

can you dig down and take a picture of it? I still do not know where it would connect..

Also take a picture of your complete setup, pump, filter and anything else that would help...

The connected pipes above it are the return lines to the pool. Unable to take a wider shot right now but there's already lines labeled "skimmer" and "drain" that run to the pump basket. Equipment pad is below water level of the pool. Could I just cap this?
Thanks so much for the help! We just moved in in October and this is our first time opening this pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have an additional return eye in the pool nothing comes out of? It could be an old pressure return for a cleaner and got capped off when previous owner stopped using a pressure side cleaner. If so, you can either just leave it capped, or when redoing plumbing for some other reason in the future add it back in as an additional return.

It's actually the the open pipe that is almost buried in the ground. As soon as I removed the plug from the skimmer, water begins to flow from this.
The pipe is connected to the skimmer. That is pretty clear from your statement. But is the other port of the skimmer connected to one of the other pipes shown in the picture. In other words, is that skimmer "active" where you can see water flowing into it. If it is active, then I would just plug that pipe (from the skimmer end) because it may of had a leak at one point which is why it was abandon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.