Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this pipe for?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this pipe for?

And why is water gushing out of it when I turn on my pump?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this pipe for?

Could you point out which pipe you mean??

A picture showing the entire equipment set up would be helpful too!

Welcome to TFP
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Medson View Post
    And why is water gushing out of it when I turn on my pump?
    Which pipe is leaking?

If it's the short 90 degree thing, that's the waste port. It means that round valve on the side of the filter (half cut off in the pic) is set to waste or backwash. If it's set to anything else, then the spider gasket or internal plate inside the valve is bad.

If it's one of the other pipes, you have a leak that needs fixing.

And Welcome
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

image.jpgIt's actually the the open pipe that is almost buried in the ground. As soon as I removed the plug from the skimmer, water begins to flow from this.

5. Back To Top    #5

A wide angle shot showing everything would help, but My guess is that that is the suction pipe from that skimmer to the equipment pad. Again, a guess, but I would think there used to be a "T" where that coupling is on the horizontal pipe and that open line connected there.

Again, this is just a guess looking at the limited info available.

If the equipment pad is below the water level of the pool gravity will push the water through that pipe when you pull the plug
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

is this the pipe you are referring to? It looks like the pipe was broke off..

pipe in ground.jpg
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

can you dig down and take a picture of it? I still do not know where it would connect..

Also take a picture of your complete setup, pump, filter and anything else that would help...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

9. Back To Top    #9

The connected pipes above it are the return lines to the pool. Unable to take a wider shot right now but there's already lines labeled "skimmer" and "drain" that run to the pump basket. Equipment pad is below water level of the pool. Could I just cap this?
    Thanks so much for the help! We just moved in in October and this is our first time opening this pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Could I just cap this?
    Probably. Does the water come out with a lot of force when you turn on the pump? What level does the water recede to when you turn off the pump?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Do you have an additional return eye in the pool nothing comes out of? It could be an old pressure return for a cleaner and got capped off when previous owner stopped using a pressure side cleaner. If so, you can either just leave it capped, or when redoing plumbing for some other reason in the future add it back in as an additional return.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Medson View Post
    It's actually the the open pipe that is almost buried in the ground. As soon as I removed the plug from the skimmer, water begins to flow from this.
    The pipe is connected to the skimmer. That is pretty clear from your statement. But is the other port of the skimmer connected to one of the other pipes shown in the picture. In other words, is that skimmer "active" where you can see water flowing into it. If it is active, then I would just plug that pipe (from the skimmer end) because it may of had a leak at one point which is why it was abandon.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater