Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 280 (I'm 90% sure)

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 280 (I'm 90% sure)

Good afternoon! Had a quick question about my sweep. This is our second season and the sweep started slowing down towards the end of last season... Wouldn't climb walls and seemed to get stuck more often than in the beginning...I have seen rebuild kits on Amazon and other places, but they don't always seem to be consistent, and also they are usually over $200. Any guidance what I should get it try first or simply the best place to buy a rebuild kit?

thanks in advance! On day three of slamming and things are going great!!!
    ~16,500g, in ground gunite pool, Hayward pro series sand filter, Emerson pumps, TF 100 XL test kit, Speed Stir, Polaris 280 pool sweep (I believe that is the model)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Polaris 280 (I'm 90% sure)

Hi, Pete,

I can't help with the rebuild advice. I can say that, as good as that 280 is, the robots are better.

You might consider a robot if you decide you can't repair the 280 properly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Make sure the screen that is in the hose that you plug into the wall is clean. When we first got our house I didn't realize there was one in the hose.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys!
    ~16,500g, in ground gunite pool, Hayward pro series sand filter, Emerson pumps, TF 100 XL test kit, Speed Stir, Polaris 280 pool sweep (I believe that is the model)

5. Back To Top    #5

I had similar issues, and I've rebuilt a significant portion of my Polaris 280 for less than $200, over the last month. It was slow and didn't climb walls well, and upon inspection I noticed was that the teeth on the wheels were worn out, so I replace all 3 wheels, and put on new bearings. I also noticed that the axle was worn down on the edges (it looked beveled, when it shouldn't be), and when I pulled the axle out, the part of the axle that looks like a watermill (the part that drives the axle) was nearly broken. Just replacing those items made a significant difference. The float head had water in it, so I replaced that as well. The backup valve seemed to malfunction (water spitting out when not supposed to be engaged), so I replaced that. My hose keeps getting twisted, so I ordered 3 new swivels, and hoping that that solves all my problems.

Once I've replaced the worn down parts, it cleaned the pool well (until the hose started twisting, which is why i'm replacing the swivels), and I'd rather not spend $500 on a new robot. It's not difficult to repair/replace the parts. 3 swivels cost me $25, as opposed to paying $125 for a whole new hose. I did notice that my pressure relief valve is blowing water, but my wheels are getting the requisite 28-32 RPM, so I guess the pressure is just higher than needed. I ordered a blue and red disc, and will see if that helps.

The 280 is easy to work on, and if you are like me and don't like unnecessary spending, you could probably fix the polaris yourself. All you need is a phillips and a flat head screw driver and the parts.
    Long time swimmer, first time pool owner
    Odd shaped, 30,000 gals, plaster
    Hayward DE 6020
    Pentair WF-26 1.5 HP
    TF-100 Testkit

6. Back To Top    #6

Was the 280 new last season? If so, might it still be under warranty?
    16K gallon IG exposed aggregate pool with Aquarite SWG T15 cell, Hayward C1750 filter, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, H400FD pool/spa heater, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump, 280 pressure cleaner, Hayward Super II spa pump and Air Supply Silencer spa blower

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you! Where did you get the parts? LPS or Amazon or what?

8. Back To Top    #8

I usually get my Polaris parts from poolcenter.com.
    22k gallon IG Anthony free-form pool and spa with PebbleSheen finish, Pentair WFDS-8 WhisperFlo Full Rated Dual-Speed 2HP pool pump, Sta-Rite S8D110 System 3 Grid D.E. 53 sq. ft. pool filter, Raypak R406A 399K BTU cupro-nickel propane heater, Polaris 280 pool cleaner with 3/4 HP PB4-60 booster pump, Goldline Aqua Plus controller and SWG, Inter-Fab G-Force pool slide.

9. Back To Top    #9

I usually get my parts from amazon.
    Long time swimmer, first time pool owner
    Odd shaped, 30,000 gals, plaster
    Hayward DE 6020
    Pentair WF-26 1.5 HP
    TF-100 Testkit

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you both!