Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing my mind (and my money)

1. Back To Top    #1

Losing my mind (and my money)

I'm at my wit's end with our pool issue; if anyone can help or suggest anything I'd gladly appreciate it.

Our pool filter (Hayward S244T) doesn't seem to be filtering out fine silt. It piles up on the bottom of the pool/steps after every cycle. If I put socks over the returns I can catch some. Our PSI gauge reads 8PSI, 5 when the Polaris is running around.

We have had numerous professionals tell us just about everything but no one can fix this issue.

Thus far we have replaced the polaris booster motor, sand in the filter, the filter control valve, and now the entire skimmer, per professional opinions. We were hoping with the skimmer replacement (we were told) this issue would have been remedied.

The pro that replaced the sand told us that the laterals look good. The pro that replaced the skimmer told us that we had a leak and broken pipe and that was the cause and that we needed a new skimmer.

So we are back to square one having spent lots of $$$.

Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Losing my mind (and my money)

We'd love to help, and it sounds like you've exhausted most of the mechanical issues. First thing we need ..... a full set of water test results from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Do you have one of those? That has to be #1 (link below). Everything you hear from so-called professionals and pool stores means nothing unless you are testing the water yourself. I guarantee you ... no one will test your water as accurately as you. If you can get us those results, we will have some good info to go on.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

With all do respect please don't anyone ask for water samples tested with a TF-100 or any other kind of test kit.

I just filled the water yesterday by the way.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is this leftover from opening? Some algae is smaller than what a sand filter can remove so if you add a little DE to the filter, it can help remove what is remaining.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Mas has got you covered.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Did they rinse the sand when they put it in?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Losing my mind (and my money)

Quote Originally Posted by dshocker View Post
    With all do respect please don't anyone ask for water samples tested with a TF-100 or any other kind of test kit.

dshocker,

Well, it certainly sounds like you've gotten a lot of BAD advice up to this point. There is literally only ONE reason I know of that would force a sand change in a sand filter and that's when you convert from Baquacil to chlorine sanitation. Other than that, sand is sand and it's been around for a billion years, it doesn't ever go bad. So that was bad advice #1. Changing your booster pump....was it broken? was the it making noises? was there visible water leak that rusted the shaft? If not, then that was bad advice #2. A valve?? If it was a simple PVC ball valve, then maybe it needed changing...if it was a Jandy-style valve with a diverter in it, then it could have been rebuilt instead of replaced. Bad advice #3. A rebuilt skimmer?? Well, that's certainly a possibility and I would not know unless there were pictures showing the broken pipe and leaky skimmer so that one could have been legit.

So it sounds all the "professional" help has gotten you nowhere closer to fixing your problem and it has probably drained your bank account much more than you would have liked. If I were in your shoes, I would be frustrated and ticked off too!

The reason why we ask people to get their own test kits and do their own testing is because, most of the time, your pool problems are a chemical issue. The only way to reliably test your water is to do it yourself (as frustrating as that sounds) because, at the end of the day, no one, and I mean NO ONE, cares about your pool water more than you do. In fact, Pool Stores don't care about your water at all and make more money when your water has problems not when it is fine....everyone in the pool industry has an incentive as long as your pool is not working properly.

So that's why TFP exists. We are a do-it-yourself forum of pool owners (over 100,000 of us at this point in time) and we've all taken control of our own pools. This is why we ask about test results from test kits that we trust. Believe me, no one here makes money off selling test kits. No one here, in general, gets paid at all. We all do it for free. So while I understand your frustration and your contempt for pool experts, we can only assure that we (TFP) are not here to give you bad advice or make money off you. We simply want to help you.

If you want my opinion, and that's all it is, I think your initial problem was algae as mas985 suggest. Algae can look a lot like silt in a pool and you think the filter will just get rid of it but it keeps coming back. It's only after you test your water chemically that you understand that there is something eating up all your chlorine and then you realize that what you have is an algae/chemical problem, not a mechanical problem.

I hope we can help you get past this frustration to enjoy your pool.

Best of luck,

Matt
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

If you want a suggestion here it is, stop going to the pool store, learn what your pool needs and take care of it yourself. If you want a step that will not cost you anything now, click on the pool school link in the upper right of this page, and work your way through all the information that is there
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

dsshocker, I just looked over your posts from July of last year and you had the same kind of problems back then. Do you still have the test kit and stuff for it from back then? If so then you can order just two tests to get you what you need to fix your pool.

The two tests are:

FAS/DPD chlorine & cc test. It will test for FC up to 50ppm! Here is the link:
    TFTestkits.net

CYA test-this test is VERY important as the FC/CYA relationship is the corner stone to taking care of your pool. Here is the link to this one:
    TFTestkits.net

Without these tests I am very worried you will continue to have this problem.

I REALLY want to help you clear you pool. Help me help you please.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

With all due respect, you are wasting your time and ours unless you post reliable test results.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

11. Back To Top    #11

Don't forget that even newly filled pools also need to be tweaked to get the chemistry right for swimming and to avoid new outbreaks of algae.

Please test for and add the necessary stabilizer and bleach to avoid problems. You can tweak the rest after that.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

with all due respect, you were told you had a chemistry problem 9 months ago. It's simple, you still have a chemistry problem.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    with all due respect, you were told you had a chemistry problem 9 months ago. It's simple, you still have a chemistry problem.
    Not a chemical/algae thing. I've brought water samples on three occasions to local shops and all results have come back negative. They have assured me its not algae in the water.

Just for one second please pretend its not an algae thing and that I've already bought one or all of your test kits. Because its not an algae thing. No matter how many attempts you make at getting me to buy a test kit, it won't work, since my pool service takes care of this for me. They have also told me it isn't algae by the way.

But thanks for the suggestions. I think.

14. Back To Top    #14

<shrug> Then I guess the only other option to explain it is that your pool service is bad. and they're leaving your pool dirty.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

15. Back To Top    #15

Not a chemical/algae thing. I've brought water samples on three occasions to local shops and all results have come back negative. They have assured me its not algae in the water.

Just for one second please pretend its not an algae thing and that I've already bought one or all of your test kits. Because its not an algae thing. No matter how many attempts you make at getting me to buy a test kit, it won't work, since my pool service takes care of this for me. They have also told me it isn't algae by the way.

Well then my only suggestion is to continue with the professionals. We don't pretend - we scientifically prove what the problem is. We only recommend what has worked in tens of thousands of pools - accurate testing backed up by only adding what the testing shows that the pool needs.

It is sad, but the vast majority of "professional" testing is poor on a good day. But, as you choose to continue to trust their testing and advice I can only figure that we will not be able to help you.

I hope you are able to discover the problem.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

16. Back To Top    #16

You've already eliminated, and paid a lot of money for, just about every mechanical issue possible along with others that couldn't possibly be related. That test kit, or a Taylor K2006 you could get on Amazon or elsewhere would have been less.

Maybe it's not chemical, but nobody here can know that. I DO know that with the results many experts here (not me, I ask THEM) will help diagnose it and troubleshoot back and even if mechanical likely end up being able to pinpoint it.

As Mas mentioned though, you could try a little DE in your sand filter. I do it once or twice a year myself prior to big parties just to make it a tad more sparkly
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

17. Back To Top    #17

Your pool service and the pool stores do not give reliable test results and as long as you follow their advice you will have problems. It really is as simple as that.

TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    <shrug> Then I guess the only other option to explain it is that your pool service is bad. and they're leaving your pool dirty.

Yes, apparently you are of no help. Can anyone recommend an online forum where people may actually suggest something other than "buy a pool test kit from us"?

19. Back To Top    #19

Where do you get "From Us?". I got mine on Amazon and it has a Leslie's sticker on it.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

No other site is going to be able to fix your problem. We tried last year and you didn't follow. We tried this year and you won't follow. Not sure there is anybody that can solve a problem that you don't want to do your part.

Just one more point before you go, nobody said you had to buy the kit from us. It's available from an online pool supply store or even your local pool $tore if you get the one that has the FAS powder in it. We just know that pool $tore testing is not trustworthy, it's been proven time and time again.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast