Wait to add boric acid after replastering?

Apr 30, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
New to TFP and this is my first post. After years of chasing algae blooms and dumping tons of pucks and bags of shock in the pool I'm taking control back to keep my new plaster new. Now on with my question.

My pool was just re-plastered 2 weeks ago and the start up/curing instructions state not to add salt for 30 days after re-plaster but mention nothing about borates. Are there any issues with adding boric acid to new plaster? Should I wait a specific time?

The only two things you need right off the bat are chlorine and stabilizer. Some folks who have used pucks in the past will use a few to increase both at the same time. Or the liquid chlorine can simply be household bleach, and the stabilizer is easily found at Lowes or Wallyworld.

The best thing you can do though is get your TF-100 test kit and learn to monitor what's going on in your water easily.

What we don't advise you to do is add anything to the pool you don't know what it is and why you're adding it, or anything the pool store tells you to add. We add very few things to our pools and the cost savings are enormous!

Test Kit! Today!! TFTestkits.net Toss in a Speed Stir device too. You'll later thank us, I swear.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

HI! So glad you found TFP! You are going to love how your pool looks with the TFP guidelines! You are also going to love how fat your wallet is LOL.

We tell most newbies to TFP to wait on the borates. We want you to learn how to control your pool's levels using the basic stuff-chlorine and muriate acid.

I am not sure how borates will affect brand new plaster. I hope someone else will jump in to answer that question.

How are you testing your water? We need to know that to know how to go forward.

Kim:cat:

I've been running liquid chlorine since start up, I used stand alone stabilizer to get up to 45ppm and I am pouring acid in like crazy while it cures. I switched from dip strips to a K-2006 a few months before the re-plaster. I got a little nerdy and started a spreadsheet to track the water and how much I'm adding each day. I figure that may help me stay ahead of the game next year and down the line when I decide on some form of automated chlorination. I have the Speedstir sitting in my Amazon shopping cart ready to go and the only thing I'm planning on buying from the pool store is acid & chlorine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.