Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's the best way to add calcium chloride

1. Back To Top    #1

What's the best way to add calcium chloride

Need to raise ch have to add 300 oz by volume but don't want to stain new liner thank you for your help
    13,500 ,AG,jacuzzi s15LR9-6 pump,jacuzzi AV 60 DE filter,installed 2005,TF 100 test kit,Pool rover cleaning robot , new liner 4/2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's the best way to add calcium chloride

Vinyl pools generally don't need much calcium. Can you post test results to confirm?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Vinyl pools generally don't need much calcium. Can you post test results to confirm?
    I just found a few posts about vinyl and calcium I didn't know that it's not necessary in a vinyl pool , the test showed that ch was 70 I thought I had to add it that's why I asked , so I guess I'm good at 70 thanks for your help I'm still finding my way around the site thanks again for your help
    13,500 ,AG,jacuzzi s15LR9-6 pump,jacuzzi AV 60 DE filter,installed 2005,TF 100 test kit,Pool rover cleaning robot , new liner 4/2016

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as you're not having some kind of strange water clarity issue or foaming of some kind, low CH in a vinyl pool is generally not a problem per se. If you get a lot of rain water spillover in your area or your fill water is very soft, then it's often a good idea to have some calcium chloride on hand to bump it up if it goes below 50ppm or so. Other than that, there's really no reason to add CH as long as you keep you pH and TA at recommended levels.

Are you testing your own water regularly?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    As long as you're not having some kind of strange water clarity issue or foaming of some kind, low CH in a vinyl pool is generally not a problem per se. If you get a lot of rain water spillover in your area or your fill water is very soft, then it's often a good idea to have some calcium chloride on hand to bump it up if it goes below 50ppm or so. Other than that, there's really no reason to add CH as long as you keep you pH and TA at recommended levels.

Are you testing your own water regularly?
    Yes we had rain twice this week today was my first chance to test it and more rain coming tonight I have another question what's the best way to test for accurate ph here's my results from today fc was 0 ,ph was between 7.5 and 8.2 ,TA was 70 ,ch was 70 , cya was 20 I used the pool calculater and it told me to add 80 oz of bleach (Walmart brand) ,76oz of arm n hammer ,and 38 oz of cya , I added the bleach and waited an hour I just added baking soda now I was goin to run filter as usual ( 6 hours on 6 hours off its pumps the pool 2.5 times in 6hours) I was goin to recheck in about 2 hrs and see where I'm at , I'm using TF 100 test kit any suggestions on any other test kits as far as the ph is concerned thank you for your help

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey there! Just for review- Pool School - Recommended Levels
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks to everyone for the help here are my new readings I think I'm on my way
    Fc 5.5
    Cc 0.5
    Ph 7.8
    Ta 110
    Ch 70
    Cya 37

Going to add some liquid cya to bring it up some pool math calling for 14oz
    Thanks again for all the help