Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Robot for vinyl? Dolphin can't climb walls or slope!

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Robot for vinyl? Dolphin can't climb walls or slope!

What robot cleaner do you guys use for a vinyl pool? I have a Dolphin Commander and it won't climb the walls or slope. So disappointed!
    New build, vinyl IG 18x40 3'4-9'

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Robot for vinyl? Dolphin can't climb walls or slope!

I can't find your specfic model, but if it is older it may just need fresh treads
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Is your Dolphin Commander new, used, or heavily worn?

If it is new, try adjusting the floats on the handle to a different position and see if that helps it climb better as well as leave it in the pool for about 15 minutes before actually starting it.

If its not new, call 888-DOLPHIN for help troubleshooting the issue. I have a real deep end that has over 6 feet of full vertical wall which my Dolphin climbs just fine. In fact it climbs several inches above the water line to clean what would be the tile line above the water line in a concrete pool.
    Pool #1 IG 24k Diamond Brite plaster with spill-over spa. Jandy Aqua Link RS One Touch with built into pool floor cleaner. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket feeding Hayward top mount Zeosand filter. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket for Spa Jets. Heat Siphon pool heat pump. Dolphin Robotic pool cleaner.

Pool #2 IG 35K 20X40 Vinyl. Hayward top mount Zeosand filter with Pentair 3 HP IntelliFlo VS+SVRS. Chemical Free pool using Water Doctor Copper Ion Generator, PoolSkim, Polaris 9300 Sport robotic pool cleaner, Heat Siphon pool heat pump, solar blanket, Ameri-Dome 50X30 dome enclosure during Winter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ditto... I just purchased a Dolphin Nautilus today and it will only climb the wall half way....any suggestions on how I can get it to climb the wall entirely to the water line?

15x30 Oval 13,500 Gal, IG Vinyl built Fall 2015,
    TF-100 test kit
    Pentair Sand Dollar 40 Pump & Filter System 1HP Dynamo
    Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Dolphin Nautilus

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the replies. It's not new so I will definitely check the treads. Good luck derryank. I hope you figure it out.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Shel...I'll try and keep you updated. Best of luck

15x30 Oval 13,500 Gal, IG Vinyl built Fall 2015,
    TF-100 test kit
    Pentair Sand Dollar 40 Pump & Filter System 1HP Dynamo
    Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Dolphin Nautilus

7. Back To Top    #7

With the treads even if they don't look worn over time they stiffen, so if they don't feel soft and pliable you should try replacing them.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

My Dolphin Primal X3 does climb the walls. Not every time, but it's not supposed to. It comes to the top about every 5 minutes and does the water line. I love it!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner