Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What water temp is best for adding salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

What water temp is best for adding salt?

I just opened my pool for the season. The water temp fluctuates between 55 and 57 (the SWG doesn't work until temp is at least 65 degrees). Should I wait until the temp goes up to add salt or will the salt dissolve just as easily in cooler temps? TIA!
    ​aarsic
    30k gallon in-ground plaster pool, Pentair Whisper-Flo 2.0hp, Jandy AquaPure PLC 1400 Saltwater Cell, Polaris 360 w/booster pump, DE filter. Due to a brain injury I cannot do Pool Math. Don't tell me to do Pool math unless you want to walk me through the whole thing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What water temp is best for adding salt?

Personally, I think I'd just maintain the pool using bleach until it's warm enough to get in and then hold DIamond Day.

You let the kids get in and then pour in the salt and they can throw handfuls up and swim through the crystals as they settle
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think so too! Thanks!!
    ​aarsic
    30k gallon in-ground plaster pool, Pentair Whisper-Flo 2.0hp, Jandy AquaPure PLC 1400 Saltwater Cell, Polaris 360 w/booster pump, DE filter. Due to a brain injury I cannot do Pool Math. Don't tell me to do Pool math unless you want to walk me through the whole thing.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, I don't try to wake up my SWG until the water is above 70f.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

What water temp is best for adding salt?

Make sense save your SWG cell use bleach for now. Use a brush to move the salt around it will dissolve much faster.

6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess I should also hold off on the Muriatic acid until before adding salt as well (to lower ph).
    ​aarsic

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by aarsic View Post
    I guess I should also hold off on the Muriatic acid until before adding salt as well (to lower ph).
    Nope. Balance everything else and use bleach as your chlorine source until the water warms enough for the SWG to work. Then add salt and turn on the SWG.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, thanks! I've never opened this early when it's 48 degrees at night and the water is under 60 degrees. Thanks again!
    ​aarsic

9. Back To Top    #9

Finally 4 weeks after opening I got to add the salt when the temp was 70. Soon after I began getting a 120 error code - low current forward to cell. I ended up having to call the pool people. The pool company came out and said it was possibly the transformer and if not that then I need an entire new system. Transfer and labor is near $500 and New system is $1500 plus labor. This is something I can NOT do myself. I'm thinking of just using chlorine tabs this year. It puts out some chlorine when on at 100% even low the code is Low forward current to cell. Anyone else had to live with tabs in the skimmer? TIA!!! I should add that I have been putting in Liquid Chlorine (Pool Essentials from Walmart Chlorinating Liquid) but after 2 days there is no residual chlorine. I prefer the liquid but it doesn't last very long.

​aarsic

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

What is your CYA level?
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

CYA was about 50
    ​aarsic

12. Back To Top    #12

FC was 2 this morning. Can I keep this balanced without replacing/fixing the cell? It is producing "some" chlorine.
    ​aarsic

13. Back To Top    #13

The FC was 2 doing the Overnight test with everything off this morning. With pump running FC is 4. I have decided that I cannot do anything this year to fix the 120 code or replace the system (see problem above 3 posts). If I want a new system next year it will be $1800 with labor for a 3 year warranty. Pool people will not use or work with any part that I buy (like a new cell online with a 1 yr warranty). Suggestions are appreciated - please note I cannot do ANY installation labor and I cannot read flowcharts and diagrams due to brain injury. Helpful advice is greatly appreciated.
    ​aarsic