Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 7.0 ph

1. Back To Top    #1

7.0 ph

So I'm lowering my TA and bumped my PH down to 7 (am aerating).
    How long is it ok to have it that low?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah....
    PH 7
    FC 7
    TA 70
    CYA 70
    Salt 3600
    Borates 15 (haven't yet added but now might be a good time with the PH low?)
    (Lucky?)

- - - Updated - - -

My sig
    28,000 Gallon, IG, Vinyl, SWG, Sand Filter
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter
    Flotec Pump
    Hayward Turbulent Flo Chamber

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: 7.0 ph

7.0 should be no concern for equipment as that is by definition pH neutral. You have a vinyl liner so there is no danger to plaster or grout from a low CSI.

If you are planning to borate using borax it will raise your TA when it raises the pH, so you don't gain by starting with low pH. If you are going to use boric acid it is pH neutral.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

John,

This is not a one step process.. You will need to check pH every three or four hours, and add more acid to bring the pH down again. Keep repeating until the TA is just below what you want. Then aerate until the pH comes up to 7.4 or so.

For me anyway, the pH only stays at 7.0 for an hour before it starts coming back up. In three or four hours it will be back up to around 7.4.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, all good to know.
    My kids are wanting to swim today....
    28,000 Gallon, IG, Vinyl, SWG, Sand Filter
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter
    Flotec Pump
    Hayward Turbulent Flo Chamber

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmarkpainter View Post
    Thanks, all good to know.
    My kids are wanting to swim today....
    Let 'em. A bunch of kids splashing each other and using a kickboard will aerate that water big time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!