Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor Shaft Sheared off

1. Back To Top    #1

Motor Shaft Sheared off

Folks,
    Motor shaft has sheared just around the seal area. Motor has given sterling service for 14 years, so am not assuming it's anything other than wear and tear.

This is what is in there now:
    Magnatek 2HP, Frame Y56Y, 230 V, B748, SF1.3, Amps 11.5, single phase. P/N 10-186016-02. It connects into a Challenger pump. Impeller and Diffuser look fine.

A couple of questions:
    1. I assume that trying to buy and replace the shaft is going to be difficult and not worth the effort?

2. I'm seeing AO Smith as a replacement, any thoughts, comments or alternatives?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Motor Shaft Sheared off

1. I don't think a shaft replacement is even possible.

2. A.O. Smith, now branded as Century, is a good motor.

But I would go with a two speed as long as you are replacing the motor. The B2984 is a high efficiency two speed replacement. You can also get it with a two speed timer if you don't already have one (B2984T).

Do you have a spa (a sig would help)? If not, you might consider this as an opportunity to downsize as well.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I'll probably go with an AO Smith. I do have a spa.
    Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

We had a big lightening strike a few days ago, destroyed neighbors chimney. Our pool pump would have been running at the time, all breakers tripped but I wonder how this surge would have found the path to ground and whether that played any part in this problem, makes you wonder. When I started the pump it sounded just a bit louder than normal and I noticed when I powered it off it was hotter than I would expect for late April. Switched it on yesterday, ran for about 1 hour then crunch. It's been a great pump, I've had the odd start cap and seal go over the years but apart from that, no problems.

5. Back To Top    #5

To shear off the motor shaft like that, something had to bind in the seal or impeller.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater