Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I increase TA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I increase TA?

My water has been extremely stable for the past 2 months with this morning's test being the norm. I am losing 1 FC consistently per day & the PH creeps up about .2 weekly. I am currently targeting a PH of 7.2 - 7.6.
    I have a little bit of staining / tough buildup in some areas & I am keeping PH on the low side of normal to help combat this along with brushing.

My question is, should I raise the Total Alkalinity or am I OK with it hanging out at 60?

FC-5
    CC-0
    CH-250
    TA-60
    CYA-50
    Borate-50
    Port Orange Florida
    In Ground Plaster Kidney
    36 x 18 - 16,000 Gallons. 3ft - 6ft
    Chlorine
    Hayward C12002 Cartridge Filter, 1-1/2 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I increase TA?

60 is fine. I keep mine between 50 & 60. If I don't pH rises much too fast for my liking.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Rather than raise TA, why not let the pH hang out at the higher end? Say, 7.6>7.8. Your CSI is pretty low if you knock the pH down to 7.2.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Numbers looks good i'm keeping mines at 50 with PH stable at 7.6
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I am holding th PH down for a few weeks while trying to brush off some brown streaks. Inherited a pool with a lot of gritty buildup & I am knocking down the last few streaks. Seems I read here that a lower PH can help with that. The pool likes to hang at a PH of 7.5-7.6
    Port Orange Florida
    In Ground Plaster Kidney
    36 x 18 - 16,000 Gallons. 3ft - 6ft
    Chlorine
    Hayward C12002 Cartridge Filter, 1-1/2 HP Pump