Nesting owls in backyard

SGPlayer

Gold Supporter
Apr 12, 2016
Palmetto, Fl.
This is so cool.
We've noticed a pair of barred owls hanging around a lot, but as wooded as we are, it wasn't out of the ordinary.
We get all kinds of critters passin' thru. Foxes, coyotes, possums, armidillos, deer, hogs, all kinds of birds and hawks, stray local cows and one alligator so far.
But when I saw one of the owls flying into a hollow in one of our oak trees with food, I knew we had a family.

So I watched em for a couple of days...

And sure enough, today the little ones were looking out. Saw two of em in there, all fuzzy. Probably close to 10" tall already.
Had to use the zoom to keep from getting too close, out of respect for respect for my fuzzy little neighbors.

DSC04136_zpss1knwxrd.jpg

DSC04140_zpsucac3lwx.jpg

This is momma or daddy, not sure which one, they both look very similar.

DSC03692_zps41sfnw8y.jpg

Been here over 25 years and every day brings a new surprise. Our little piece of paradise.

Nice pics and nice owls. We have several barred owls nesting and living quite close but the live oaks are so thick and so tall we have little chance of ever finding a nest or often even seeing them. We sure do hear them!!

That is so cool! We have not seen any nests but we sure do hear them! We also have 3 sets of red tail hawks that live in the area behind us. It is registered wet lands. Momma otter brings her babies to eat the frogs in our pond. She is so used to use she does not leave when we go out to watch them.

Sounds like you live in paradise as do we! LOVE IT!

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I was lucky to catch that.
I feel so fortunate to have a yard that's like a state park, without all the tourists. 2 1/2 acres of Old Florida.

It's pretty rural around here. Dirt roads and back woods country charm.
And luckily it has stayed that way in spite of all the growth & sprawl around us.

Congrats! I had a new visitor to my pool last week. We live in downtown Charleston so while not rare, it is not common to have marsh creatures in my backyard. Thursday we were celebrating the last night of Passover and I left the table to do something and looked out back and there was a gorgeous heron with a beautiful yellow crest by the pool. I didn't have my phone on me or I would have snapped a picture. He was back Sunday morning and once again I didn't have my phone. I hope to capture him for posterity.

Congrats! I had a new visitor to my pool last week. We live in downtown Charleston so while not rare, it is not common to have marsh creatures in my backyard. Thursday we were celebrating the last night of Passover and I left the table to do something and looked out back and there was a gorgeous heron with a beautiful yellow crest by the pool. I didn't have my phone on me or I would have snapped a picture. He was back Sunday morning and once again I didn't have my phone. I hope to capture him for posterity.
Lol you need to start bringing your phone around more so you snap us a picture!

54 inch by 27 foot round above ground pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.