Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nesting owls in backyard

1. Back To Top    #1

Nesting owls in backyard

This is so cool.
    We've noticed a pair of barred owls hanging around a lot, but as wooded as we are, it wasn't out of the ordinary.
    We get all kinds of critters passin' thru. Foxes, coyotes, possums, armidillos, deer, hogs, all kinds of birds and hawks, stray local cows and one alligator so far.
    But when I saw one of the owls flying into a hollow in one of our oak trees with food, I knew we had a family.

So I watched em for a couple of days...

And sure enough, today the little ones were looking out. Saw two of em in there, all fuzzy. Probably close to 10" tall already.
    Had to use the zoom to keep from getting too close, out of respect for respect for my fuzzy little neighbors.

This is momma or daddy, not sure which one, they both look very similar.

Been here over 25 years and every day brings a new surprise. Our little piece of paradise.
    I'm Dave, the dog is Charlotte... 18k gal, IG pebble, Pentair clean & clear 150 sq.ft. cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, 400,000 BTU propane heater, Blue Essence salt cell, Hayward Blu concrete suction cleaner, Pentair Intellibrite pool & spa lights, Pentair PSL4 easytouch automation.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Nesting owls in backyard

Neat!!

Thanks for the pictures!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I bet they are trying to get to your SGs.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Nice pics and nice owls. We have several barred owls nesting and living quite close but the live oaks are so thick and so tall we have little chance of ever finding a nest or often even seeing them. We sure do hear them!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I think you should name one Hedwig.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Very cool!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

They'll do a good job of keeping the rodent population down.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

That is so cool! We have not seen any nests but we sure do hear them! We also have 3 sets of red tail hawks that live in the area behind us. It is registered wet lands. Momma otter brings her babies to eat the frogs in our pond. She is so used to use she does not leave when we go out to watch them.

Sounds like you live in paradise as do we! LOVE IT!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Great Post! I love Owls for so many reasons, but they are just amazing creatures.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

that is really kewl
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

I can't wait to show Skippy this. He loves owls and while we have a couple now and then we rarely get to see them.

Three Cheers for Mother Nature!!!

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm glad that you all enjoyed the owl pics.

I got lucky this evening & got a great pic of momma with the twins...
    Must be dinner time.

I'm Dave, the dog is Charlotte... 18k gal, IG pebble, Pentair clean & clear 150 sq.ft. cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, 400,000 BTU propane heater, Blue Essence salt cell, Hayward Blu concrete suction cleaner, Pentair Intellibrite pool & spa lights, Pentair PSL4 easytouch automation.

13. Back To Top    #13

That's great. Postcard/National Geographic material.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

That's awesome they are so pretty

54 inch by 27 foot round above ground pool.

15. Back To Top    #15

Amazing pic!!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

16. Back To Top    #16

I would have to print that one out and frame it with the caption: Just out the back door!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Yeah, I was lucky to catch that.
    I feel so fortunate to have a yard that's like a state park, without all the tourists. 2 1/2 acres of Old Florida.

It's pretty rural around here. Dirt roads and back woods country charm.
    And luckily it has stayed that way in spite of all the growth & sprawl around us.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by SGPlayer View Post
    I'm glad that you all enjoyed the owl pics.

I got lucky this evening & got a great pic of momma with the twins...
    Must be dinner time.

This picture is AMAZING!
    My Build 20x40 Freeform Shotcrete (33k gal) pool. 3.6-8.6, Blue Granite Pebble Sheen, Tennessee Flagstone Coping, Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo 4x160 x SVRS, Rainbow Automatic Chlorinator, 1 LED light, Tanning Shelf, 15.6 Slide with 3 different height jumping rocks, Sta-Rite 333k btu propane heater, kool deck, TF100, Dolphin Oasis Z5

19. Back To Top    #19

Congrats! I had a new visitor to my pool last week. We live in downtown Charleston so while not rare, it is not common to have marsh creatures in my backyard. Thursday we were celebrating the last night of Passover and I left the table to do something and looked out back and there was a gorgeous heron with a beautiful yellow crest by the pool. I didn't have my phone on me or I would have snapped a picture. He was back Sunday morning and once again I didn't have my phone. I hope to capture him for posterity.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by otter86753 View Post
    Congrats! I had a new visitor to my pool last week. We live in downtown Charleston so while not rare, it is not common to have marsh creatures in my backyard. Thursday we were celebrating the last night of Passover and I left the table to do something and looked out back and there was a gorgeous heron with a beautiful yellow crest by the pool. I didn't have my phone on me or I would have snapped a picture. He was back Sunday morning and once again I didn't have my phone. I hope to capture him for posterity.
    Lol you need to start bringing your phone around more so you snap us a picture!

54 inch by 27 foot round above ground pool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast