Bill in The Woodlands TX - New to Pool Maintenance

Mar 23, 2016
Houston, TX
I am new to pool maintenance. We have been paying a small local company every month to maintain our pool. I would like to eliminate that expense. I look forward to learning more about pools.

This is my intro post then I will post on another forum with specific questions.

Welcome to TFP!

When you start using that K-2006 I think you will find fairly high CYA with the pucks you have been using for chlorination.

As you begin to tke over from the pool servcie, feel free to ask any question you may have!

Supplies for Pool Maintenance

My family has had a pool for 10 months, and we have been paying a small local company monthly to maintain the pool. I would like to eliminate that expense and learn to maintain myself.

I have read through the pool school and purchased a Taylor K-2006 testing kit. I really like the PoolMath calculator, and it doesn't seem that complex. My next steps are:

1) Purchase chemicals
a) I don't mind paying for value if there are true value, but want to have the lowest cost of ownership (e.g. if inexpensive chemical saves you money upfront then costs you more later I don't want that)
2) Purchase supplies
a) Need brush. I already have leaf bag and pole

Any suggestions what chemical to purchase and where to buy? Thanks

Re: Supplies for Pool Maintenance

The only chemicals that you should really "stock" are liquid chlorine and muratic acid. Even at that you won't be stocking that much.

Right now you are using 3" pucks for chlorination. They are very acidic, so your pool probably has little need for acid to keep the pH in check when using them. When you stop using them you will see your pH start to rise, thus the need for acid.

As you read through Pool School you will find articles on how to adjust this and how to adjust that. Each one uses something different to make the adjustments. You will find that other than the chlorine level and pH theses other adjustments are seldom made. Pool services sell you on their service by saying they provide all the chemicals. Well, this is an easy one for them because adjustments to things like CYA and calcium hardness are generally only needed once a season.

What we would like to see is a full set of test results from your K-2006. Please report them like this:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CYA
CH

Generally you will adjust FC daily to bring it up to your target. pH will probably be adjusted every few days. The rest my seldom need adjustment.

If you would run and post up a full set of tests from your k-2006 we can give you a better idea what you are likely to need in the near future as well as some guidance to what you might run in to further down the road.

As for value, most of what we suggest as value is exactly the same as the more expensive stuff. Alkalinity increaser you purchase at a pool store is 100% sodium bicarbonate: pure baking soda. Household bleach is just lower strength liquid chlorine and muriatic acid is the most pure form of pH decreaser available. Paradoxically it is usually the more expensive solutions found at the pool store that lead to long term headaches and added expenses.

And welcome to TFP!

Does your Polaris also brush the walls or just pick up stuff? If it only picks up stuff, you'll need a brush and pole.

When you brush your pool you're disrupting any possible build up of algae/biofilm. This lets it get into circulation so the chlorine can kill it.

A skimmer net attached on to same pole as above is useful for removing any floating debris.

Check your skimmer baskets often. If you get a lot of debris from trees and pollen some simple skimmer socks will help keep this out of the filter. Hence your filter stays cleaner longer and requires less backwashing.

None of the above equipment is particularly pricey.

The Polaris goes along the walls yet don't believe has a brush.

I am thinking about switching from the pucks to liquid bleach and my wife is concerned about the bleach smell and taste in the pool. What are the negatives to bleach and does it lead to more potent smell and taste?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Polaris goes along the walls yet don't believe has a brush.

I am thinking about switching from the pucks to liquid bleach and my wife is concerned about the bleach smell and taste in the pool. What are the negatives to bleach and does it lead to more potent smell and taste?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. It's the same base chemical in all forms.

Bill, the cons of chlorine tabs far outweigh anything compared to regular bleach. Bleach is just about the purest form of sanitizer you can put in your water. I know we think of it as strong because of the daily uses around the house, but it's still mostly sodium hypochlorite - same as liquid pool chlorine (same thing). When used is the proper amounts as seen on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below) it is totally fine for the swimmers and pool equipment.

Tablets on the other had are made not only with a sanitizer, but also with stabilizer which drives-up your CYA. Before you know it, you're hearing those awful words "drain your pool" - the only way to reduce excessive CYA. Tablets are fine for short-term use, areas with a short swimming season, or folks with a high water turnover rate, but for the most part, we recommend regular bleach for those who manually add chlorine. Of course some people will invest in a salt water generator (SWG) that coverts salt to chlorine.

But when used properly according to that chart I spoke of (linked below), it's absolutely fine. I hope that helps answer your question.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support